Sisters Reunited

The windows were thrown open and a soft breeze made the curtains flutter, spraying strands of sunlight all over the cozy little sitting room.

Andromeda propped her head up on her hand and stared dreamily out the window. Her mind wanted to wander, to go floating through the air, dancing amid the sweet scents of summer.

She loved hot summer days. Ted would always complain about the heat. Begging her to let him put cooling charms on all their rooms. But she always refused him, only letting him charm his study, a small room in the back of the house, where she never felt inclined to go.

She tore her gaze from the window and back to the parchment lying before her on the desk. She wrinkled her nose in distaste at the terrible handwriting before once more picking up her quill.

Dipping it in her special inkwell she went to work, bleeding all over the paper, correcting grammar mistakes and leaving notes in the margins. All while ignoring the call of the outdoors. She needed to get this novel edited and owled to Alianore before Nymphadora came from the Weasleys. For the house was never this calm and peaceful when her daughter was home.

Hours later she was halfway through the manuscript when the roar of a fire came to her from the kitchen.

Frowning, carefully setting her quill aside, she stood up and drew her wand. Nymphadora had left on her broomstick and Ted was out of the country for the week on business.

No one should be using the floo. She'd had it keyed to only allow travel to residents or those they saw as family since before the war. Everyone else had to call and gain permission before they could come through.

"Hello?"

Andromeda was almost at the doorway between the sitting room and the kitchen when the voice broke the silence.

She froze, her heart pounding in her chest, her wand dangling limply in her fingers.

She hadn't heard that voice in over a decade.

Andromeda was at a loss to understand why her baby sister was here. How she had gotten through the floo.

"Andy?"

The soft, cautious voice came from right in front of her. Andromeda jumped, hearing her wand clatter on the wooden floor beneath her feet.

Her baby sister was standing right in front of her.

"Cissy? What-what are you doing here?"

Cissy smiled nervously, looking shy and uncertain. Just like the young girl she had once been.

"Your daughter came to see me. Wanted us to reconcile. She's quite persuasive."

Andromeda's heart lurched and she felt tears burn her eyes even as the mother side of herself promised Nymphadora a strong punishment for lying about where she was going. "She did?"

Cissy nodded, "Yes. And, well, I have wanted to say this for years, but, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for breaking ties with you. For following a path that has only brought me one shining positive amongst a sea of negatives."

"Your son," Andromeda whispered, knowing exactly what made her sister happy.

It was funny, that. Cissy had never wanted much in life. Just a home where she was loved and children to take care of. She'd seen that possibility with Lucius Malfoy, and Andromeda couldn't really blame her for it.

"Yes. Draco is the only good thing in my life. And right now he's playing happily with his cousin. The only other child he's ever come into contact with."