Chapter 28: You Can't Always Save Yourself

I run up the stairs, shooting at walkers in front and behind of me, blood splats against the wall, stained red.

I get to the second floor, and start to desperately get in the bedroom Carl was in.

Daryl quickly run up the stairs and joined me on the balcony.

"Bottom floors clear for now, but more are coming from all directions." He says.

We kick down all the doors, until one which doesn't budge. It was locked on the inside, Carl must have been in this one.

"CARL! OPEN UP!" I shout.

You can hear the lock scrape away from the hinge, and the door quickly opens, and there reveals Carls tear stained face.

Me and Daryl run in, and Carl locks the door against behind us.

"We're gonna die. The truck left." Carl says.

What.

"No, they haven't left us. No. They've.." I nervously laugh, trying to think of a reason why the truck is no longer there.

"they fucking left us!" Daryl says, picking up the floral decorated lamp, and throwing it against the wall, causing it to smash.

"No! They'll be back!" I shout.

The room turnt silent, but not for long, the groans of the walkers got louder and Daryl started to push the wardrobe infront of the door as a barrier method.

"Shit. Shit. Shit." I keep saying, trying to think of a way out.

I walk over to the window, and open it, and look down, peering over the edge.

"Too big a drop. We won't make it if we jump." Carl says.

The wardrobe starts to push forward and back, showing the force of the walkers behind the door.

"Sometimes you can't save yourself." Carl says, taking hold of my hand.

Daryl comes close to my side, and takes hold of my free hand.

I breath a sigh of relief and close my eyes.

Maybe this was my time, maybe this was the end.

The new found silence I had created, was broken by the sound of a horn.

We run to the window and look down, and there stands the truck.

They didn't leave us, I knew it.

"Jump!" Rick shouts out the window.

"You crazy asshole!" Daryl shouts.

"Jump or we'll be dead. Come on!"

We all balance on the frame of the window, and hold hands, the bangs of the walkers onto the door get louder, until the wardrobe topples over, crashing against the floor.

"Now!" I say, pushing myself the window sill, and the others quickly follow.

We hit the fabricated roof of the truck, it was almost like hitting a trampoline, a softer trampoline.

The screeches of the wheels echo through the silence of the night, as Rick pushes his foot onto the accelerator and he go further and further away from the house.

"We're alive. Fucking hell." Daryl says, nervously laughing.

"You might not be able to save yourself, that doesn't mean others can't." I say to Carl, resting my head on his shoulder.