Chapter 1

The tinkling sound of windchimes entered the room, a sound that was all at once unpleasant and yet pleasant to listen too.

Ondri looked up from the glittery gold piece of card in her hands to see who had entered the shop.

Her cousin Kali, who greeted her with a nod before curling her fingers to send the little emerald figurines hanging from a mobile into a spin. Kali watched them twirl, refracting the light to create a glittering green disco around the also very green shop.

The shelves were full of jars of herbs, bottles full of potions and decoctions, odd looking artefacts and various amulets and charms. All of which were various shades of green and emerald.

Unsurprising since they all had made the journey over to the isle of the lost from Oz.

As suggested by the name on the sign hanging out front, in a curling cursive font that flaked with chipped green paint.

'Odditites of Oz.'

Like everything in the shop, Ondri's mother was green.

Perhaps it was thanks in part to her father, but Ondri was not green like The Wicked Witch of the West-only her hair was.

And that was because she dyed it.

It wasn't to say that she didn't inherit anything from her mother, because there were a few things she had received from the witch.

One of those things being her fiery temperament and another, her affinity for fire magic.

Ondri had been happy to receive the flying monkeys from her mother, they were extremely loyal pets and great little minions to do all the necessary dirty deeds that Ondri couldn't be bothered with.

What she hadn't been happy to receive from her mother though was an irrational fear of cold water.

Though it wasn't necessarily irrational, and actually perfectly understandable considering the incident involving her mother and Dorothy Gale.

Her cousin Kali had an irrational fear of falling houses, ridiculous sounding to most, but not to those who knew that a falling house was what brought about the Wicked Witch of the East's demise. Coincidentally, also due to Dorothy Gale.

But Kali's fear wasn't a constant plague, more of a thought that popped up once and again, because the magical barrier around the isle meant that it would be basically impossible for a house to fall from the sky.

Lucky witch.

Ondri had to deal with her fear every day, wondering when the constant thunderclouds would open up to let it rain, and then there was also the fact that the isle was floating on the largest body of water there was; the sea.

When she was reminded of such thoughts, Ondri was also reminded of the fact that she really hated her mother. Which was pretty much always.

The woman was truly wicked to have cursed her own daughter with such a cruelty.

Especially when her son; Ondri's brother Ozcar, seemed to have been let off lightly.

He was nothing like their mother, with no magical power, and no concerns of being sprinkled with a little H20.

Instead he took after the wizard, with an inventive mind and penchant for lying.

Ondri found herself stuck behind the counter of their dad's shop because of her brothers latest lie.

He had told his sister that he had a date with Freddie Facilier, so she had decided to cover for him, only to see the Facilier girl enter Tremaine's salon across the street 10 minutes later.