Kelly: No PDA

The next morning, I woke up with a smile on my face, remembering what Breton had said to me the night before.

I worried since we'd now said, "I love you," things would be weird or different between us. I was sweating when we pulled up to the school.

"Have a good day, honey," Mom said as we got out of the car. She grabbed her bags and walked into the building since she worked part-time as a school counselor.

It's as if my subconscious knew where Breton was at all times because, as soon as I looked up, I was making eye contact with my best friend.

His smile grew with every step I took toward him, and it put me more and more at ease. Everything was fine.

"Hey," he greeted. "You look pretty today."

"Thanks." He made a silly little bouncing move before he reached over and pulled me into his arm.

"I'm so happy," he whispered.

"Me, too!"

He pulled away and grabbed my hand. We were walking through the doors of the school when he spoke again. "Do you think your parents would let us go to a movie this weekend?"

"I think so," I said.

"Call me and let me know tonight, and then we'll see what's playing. I'll see you at lunch, okay?" Breton asked.

"Okay," I smiled.

"I love you," he said. He moved closer to me and kissed me in the middle of the hallway.

"Mr. Finch!" One of the Sophomore math teachers barked. "No PDA allowed, young man."

Breton grinned at me and then turned to Mr. Peters. "Sorry, sir. Couldn't help it."

"Get to class," he huffed before walking back into his room. Breton was already a few feet away, but he turned to look at me, walking backward.

"Love you," he mouthed. I smiled and mouthed the words right back.

The day dragged by, and I was relieved when the lunch bell rang. I rushed to my locker and shoved all my things inside before practically running to the cafeteria.

I got my lunch, sat at our usual table, and waited for Breton. When he ran into the lunchroom and saw me sitting at the table, his shoulders sagged in defeat. I'd won the race here for the first time since school started. I did a victory dance in my seat to taunt him.

Once he sat down, he sighed. "I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but today's victory didn't count."

"What do you mean it didn't count?" I asked exasperated.

"Well, I was late getting here because I went and talked to your mom."

"What do you mean you talked to her? What did you talk about?"

"Why do you keep saying, 'what do you mean'?" he laughed.

"What do you mean?" I asked and waited for a beat before grinning. "Kidding. What did you talk to my mom about?"

"About our date, silly. Your mom said she was calling your dad, and she'd let us know by the end of the day."

"Wow, you don't waste time, do you?" I laughed.

"Not when it comes to you. I think the movie will be a surprise." Breton smiled his most charming smile. "Life is precious, Kelly."

"Why?"

"I don't know. I'm trying to be romantic, I suppose."

"What if I trade you the details for half of my pizza?" I asked.

"Babe," he used his best villainous laugh but started coughing instead. We laughed at his attempt before he continued. "If the pizza were what I was after, I'd go buy some pizza."

"So, what is it that you want, a kiss?"

"Pfft," he scoffed. "I can get one of those from just about anywhere."

I lifted my eyebrows in amusement. "Yeah?"

"Absolutely."

"What makes you think you can just get a kiss from anywhere?"

"It's my green eyes. They're a chick magnet."

"Wow," I started laughing. "Your eyes might lure them in, but your self-image will send them running." I took a bite of my food and waited for him to reply, but he didn't. I looked at his face and was shocked by the serious expression he had. "What is it, Breton?"

"I'm only sixteen." He stated. That was his explanation.

"Yeah, I'll be sixteen in a few more weeks, so what's your point?"

"Do you think it's possible to meet your soulmate at our age?"

"You believe in soulmates?" I asked.

"You don't?" Now he was the one shocked.

"I mean, I guess I believe there's someone perfect for you, but I don't know if I believe in soulmates. It's so drastic. What if one of them fall out of love or something tragic happens? Then what are they supposed to do, live the rest of their life alone or with a lesser version?"

"This is a deep conversation."

"You started it," I reminded him. "But, to answer your question, I don't think soulmates exist."

He looked up into my eyes for what seemed like forever before he spoke in a soft voice. "I believe in them. I didn't even know they existed until I met you, but I believe in them, and I know you're mine. Maybe I'm not yours, but-."

"Wait," I interrupted. "I never said you weren't my soulmate. If soulmates are real, then I believe that you are mine. I don't know if I believe in them, though, and that's okay. I've never really sat down and thought about it before."

He smiled, easing whatever tension I was beginning to feel. "I'll just have to spend the rest of my life making you believe it, then."

"Sounds good to me," I said before leaning over to kiss him on the cheek.

"Why am I always the one around when you two are breaking PDA rules?" Mr. Peters said. I looked up, and he was standing with his arms crossed over his chest.

"Mr. Peters," Breton sighed. "Can I call you, 'buddy?'"

"No," he snapped.

"Buddy, I think we need to find you a girlfriend. Not here, obviously, since none of the other teachers are young and single, but let's hang out at the mall sometime, and we'll find a cute gal that works in the perfume department. I think you need a few dates."

Mr. Peters' face turned red. "How about you plan it all out in detention tonight?" he asked.

Breton's face fell. "Are you kidding me?"

"Not at all. Buddy," he said before he walked away. I started laughing, and Breton narrowed his eyes for a minute before he joined me.

"Why does he hate me?"

"I think he actually might like you."

"What makes you think that?"

"I think his job is boring, and you make it fun for him."

"You think he knows he's my favorite teacher?" he laughed.

"I have no idea, but I'm going to head to class. I have to study some more before this test."

"Okay, see you after school."

I waved and walked to my locker to pull out my notes, then headed to class.