Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I got out of the taxi and walked to the door of the large white house in front of me. I took my phone out of my rucksack and dialed Luce's number. It rang for a few seconds before she finally picked up.

"I'm outside your door," I said menacingly, like a serial killer. I heard a scream go through the house and through my phone.

"Oh my God! PLEASE DONT KILL US!" Luce screamed and I heard a clatter. I burst out laughing at how gullible she was.

"It's Nina, silly!" I said. "Open the door!"

She hung up without another word. I thought she didn't believe me and wouldn't open the door. I was just about to call her again when the door burst open and I was engulfed in arms. I gasped for air.

"Nina!" Luce squealed, dancing me around.

"C-can't breathe!" I choked out and she laughed, pulling away from me.

Luce was a very bubbly, eccentric person. She had copper blonde messy hair which she had cut into a bob and she looked really cute. She wore square hipster glasses around her big grey eyes. She wore a thin hippy headband around her head, a loose colorful rainbow shirt that showed her belly a bit, and jean shorts and a pair of black boots. See? Eccentricness just overflows from her. She always smiles and she's a bookworm.

"Where's my mocha frap?" she asked, leading me in to their house. I gave her her drink since I had finished mine. She surveyed me and raised an eyebrows at the coffee stain. "What happened to you?"

"Long story," I said, rolling my eyes. She grinned and sipped her drink, leading me into her house.

Their house was big and Victorian style. There was a fireplace at the side of the living room and a plush sofa stood in front of it. Luce grabbed my hand and led me to the kitchen. It was just as big as the living room with loads of cabinets and a fridge. A woman was their in an apron. She looked like she was in her forties.

"Mum!" Luce called and the woman turned around. Luce looked a lot like her. Same copper blonde hair and grey eyes. Only difference was she looked more composed and she had a few laugh lines around her eyes. She smiled at me and took off her kitchen mitts.

"You must be Nina," she said kindly, moving toward me. I thought she would shake my hand but she hugged me. I hugged back happily.

"Uhm, yeah," I said. "I'm Nina Malik."

Mrs. Miller pulled back and she smiled at me. "Lucinda has told us so many things about you. Thank you for standing up for her from the bullies."

I laughed and Luce groaned. "Mum! Don't mention that!"

That was how me and Luce had met. She was this little thing with pony tails, big glasses too large for her face, and pink braces. These big snotty girls were backing her up against the wall and teasing her about her appearance when we were in 8th grade. I was just coming out of class and I was lugging my heavy sling bag around so I ran to them and beat them with it. I grabbed her hand and we just ran away to hide behind a dumpster. I'd gotten detention for a week after that and a big scolding from mum but it was worth it though. I'd gotten a best friend in return, which sounded cliche but it was true.

Mrs. Miller chuckled and caught sight of my stain. She tutted. "Such a pretty dress. What happened?"

"Did some guy purposely spill that to get a word with you?" Luce asked, winking. I rolled my eyes.

"Not really," I said, telling them the whole story of how I stopped by Starbucks to storming out of Starbucks. I smiled sheepishly. "I know I was being mean but this is my favourite dress."