Bad cook {5}

"But I can cook!" She pouted and stomped her foot as if she was a child. Harry let out a few hearty laughs, tears threatening to spill out of his eyes because of how funny the situation was to him, and threatening to spill out of hers because of how humiliated she felt. He didn't notice the way her lip trembled or the way her nose crinkled up- The two sure fire warning signs that she was about to cry at any moment. He didn't notice the way she was looking at him, looking like a kicked puppy or a child who'd just had their favorite toy taken away. He didn't notice that it wasn't a joke to her, not at all. He failed to notice any of these things until she ran—jogged? Waddled away.

"Babe?" He called worriedly, his smile falling quickly as he jogged towards her. "Leave me alone!" She whimpered as he tried to grab her arms. "You know I can't move any faster than this! Just pretend you can't catch up and let me spend a little time alone!" She cried. He sighed and agreed, standing there watching her waddling along towards their bedroom.

When she was safely inside her room, she let out a long sigh and sat down on their bed. The day had been a pretty good one. She was in a lot more pain than usual and trying to distract her from it, Harry had suggested that they spend the day cooking and baking together. Something he loved to do, and she needed some work on. It was fun at first, with them having mini food fights every three minutes and taking way too many 'Test' tastes on all the sweets. He'd tease her ever so often about her lack of skill when it came to her being in the kitchen, and she'd been tuning him out and pushing his comments to the back of her mind for a while, because she knew he was only kidding and he didn't care whether or not she could cook, but after a while, the teasing became too much. It was really starting to get to her!

She hadn't ever been good at cooking. Ever. Not when she was younger and not now, and that really bothered her, considering her father was a chef who owned his very own restaurant! It wasn't that she didn't try, because she really did! When she was younger she tried doing bake sales but none of her treats ever sold and she was stuck watching other kids having to practically chase off the customers with a bat. She'd tried throwing get togethers with her friends, to watch the Super Bowl or to watch a paper-view or even just to watch the season premiere of the housewives or love and hip hop. Each time she tried making new dishes, some as simple as nachos and cheese and salsa or guacamole, and some as difficult as they came like that one time when she tried making gamjatang...She tried not to think about that incident too much. They always ended up ordering pizza and insisting that next time she'd make a really amazing dish for sure!

There was even once when she'd tried cooking for Harry's mother, Anne, on her birthday. Harry had been a little concerned at first, but when she begged him to let her cook her favorite dish for her and bake her a nice cake, when she promised she'd been practicing her technique for months ahead of asking him, he agreed.

They had to order pizza for Anne's fucking birthday.

Harry hadn't been mad, and Anne had comforted her when she was crying and practically begging for forgiveness, but she hated herself for ruining her one chance to really impress Harry and his mum.

She was good at just about everything else! She spoke seven languages, played nine instruments, was amazing at sports and great at video games! Graduated both high school and college at the top of her class, could fix a tear in a dress or a rip in some pants in the blink of an eye with practically no effort.  She was a cheerleader and still great at gymnastics, she was a people person and almost everyone she met ended up loving her, she had a good eye for fashion, she was great with hair and makeup, she was great with kids and pets, she could make amazing art, she always made sure to drink lots of water and squeeze exercising into her schedule, she always did yoga and mediated and hiked and did all that healthy lifestyle bullshit that everyone was so obsessed with, she was good at speaking in front of people, she could sing and dance and act-she could do everything! Except for cook.

She didn't quite know why it bothered her so much-aside from wanting to be like her dad, but he had assured her tons of times that it was perfectly fine with him that she couldn't cook. It was just... Why could she do literally everything except for this? The one thing she wanted to be able to do the most.

"Knock knock." Harry mumbled as he walked into their room, offering her a small smile. "Are you ready to talk to me now?"

She shrugged and played with her fingertips, sniffling a little, and shaking her head at how silly she knew she was acting. "I'm sorry. Hormones." She muttered.

"Yeah." He chuckled, his dimple popping out and making her smile. He squatted down in front of her and grabbed her hands softly, staring right into her eyes as he spoke. "Also, not hormones." He started. He held his hand up before she could start speaking again and then shook his head. "I'm sorry. I know how much it bothers you that you can't cook and I shouldn't have been picking on you so much. I just...I think it's adorable! It's the one thing you can't do and you absolutely obsess over it. I think it's adorable, the way that you concentrate so hard when you're trying to get something right. The way your eyebrows furrow while you read the instructions- which you follow to a tee. The way your cheeks redden and your nostrils flare when it doesn't turn out the way you wanted it to, and the way you try to hide your anger." He smiled. "I like how focused you get when you start cooking. I like how badly you want to be able to do it. I like...I like that this is the one thing I get to help you with. The one thing you really need me for. This is the one thing you can't do by yourself, that I get to be here to offer a helping hand with." He spoke slowly as he tried to get his point across and she gave him a look of sympathy as she realized what he was getting at.

"Harry, I need you for a lot more than just cooking. I needed you to help me make this little monster. Couldn't do that on my own." She smiled as she softly patted her stomach, he chuckled as he reached a large hand out to touch it as well. "I'm sorry I don't ask you to help me with other things. I know I probably should make you feel more...Needed. You are needed, though. You're valuable to me and I don't have any idea what I'd do without you." She said honestly.

"Really?" He asked. "You mean it?"

"Of course I do. You don't know how much you do for me. You get me through rough days. You're the reason I do everything I do. I do my artwork to make you proud. I do that god awful exercise routine every day to make you proud. I like that look you get in your eyes when I do something right and you're happy for me. Just knowing that at the end of a long day, I get to come home and cuddle with you, keeps me going.  I'd be an absolute mess without you." She assured him.

"Promise?" He joked, holding out his pinky. "Promise." She grinned, taking it in her own.

"Why have you been so obsessed with cooking lately, though?" He asked curiously. She shrugged sheepishly and glanced at her belly. "Just feel like if I'm able to make a child I should be able to make
Creme brulee easy peasy." She muttered.