Chanhassen Holiday

Note from Author:  This is loosely based on an ongoing fantasy in my head. I was prompted to write it by fellow fans and it took on a life of it's own. As friends read it, it was highly praised, so I thought I would share here. I am an armature writer at best, so please, excuse any grammatical errors on my part.  This story was written March/April 2017.  Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoy.  

While shopping at an office supply store, I met a very well-dressed man that seemed totally tech illiterate. He was asking very basic word program questions and stating that he needed someone to organize and help him out on occasion at his home office. It seemed kind of fishy to me, but I took his card and agreed to an impromptu interview.

When I arrived for the interview, his office was covered with pictures of him with all kinds of celebrities, he did basic contractual agreements for them, or something along that line. Information would be private, I was to sign a non disclosure agreement, but my job would be to come in when needed, maybe only a couple hours every other day, and I would be paid under the table. I was to do filing, prepare papers to mail, make post office runs, and type out documents, things that just weren't easy for him. Did I have to dress up? Nope, I'd be behind the scenes, I'd never actually meet anyone, for their privacy, of course. Perfect, I could squeeze this in as a side job.

Things went beautifully, I had no set schedule, I was given a key to his home as well as a very small office of my own. I was shocked that he trusted me in and out of his home, but some people are just that way. I would pop in, mostly when he was off on business, do what needed to be done and leave. Most everything was done via notes, he paid ridiculously well, in cash, what wasn't to love?

I arrived one day to see that his car was there, as well as a limousine. Ugh, I thought, here I am in jeans and a sweatshirt and he's got a client, I'll tip toe in and head to my office. As soon as I walk in the kitchen area door, I'm instantly taken aback by a very large bodyguard. I sheepishly look up at him as he questions, "Who are you?"

Before I can utter a reply, my boss is scrambling across the room to intercept, "She's my sort-of assistant, helper, she does a lot of my paperwork, she's fine."

I glance at my boss, then back up at the bodyguard, that's when I catch a glimpse of someone else sitting at the dining room table. Oh, my God, it's Prince! No way! I try to collect myself and not stare, I'm still being stared down by the bodyguard, who is starting to let his guard down thanks to my boss.

"I just have a couple things to do, I'll be in my office, I won't be long." I say and start to exit the area. I hear Prince say to my boss, "Aren't you going to introduce us?"

I freeze, I had almost cleared the doorway, oh, you can't be serious, I thought. I lower my head and turn, he's standing within a foot of me, I didn't even hear him move. He extends his hand, "I'm Prince."

I look at his hand, and back up to his face, thank God he's wearing glasses, I don't know if I would had been able to meet his eyes just yet. I place my hand in his, thinking: firm handshake means confidence, you can do this, "I'm Dana, I'm familiar with your work."

He chuckles, "Are you now?" He seems amused. He turns and returns to his seat.

I look at my boss, back at Prince and then to the bodyguard. "If you'll excuse me, it was a pleasure to meet the both of you." I turn again to leave. I over hear my boss say, "Would you rather go into my office?" to which Prince replies, "No, here will be fine, is she not joining us?" My boss says, "No, she's got work to do, then she's got to leave for her other job."

By now I have made it into my office and start going through the papers and files that have been left for me. My fingers just start on the keyboard when my boss peeks his head in. "I need you to come out and take notes." I look at him puzzled, this is new.