Little Brother

A Phone Call Exchanged From Aaron To Sean

(Aaron age 20 in college. Sean aged 13) Bold= Hotch Italics= Sean

"How's college?" Sean asks looking over shoulder to search out for his father.

"It's tough," Aaron says scratching at his neck eager to just know how Sean's doing on his own. "How's dad?"

If it had been anyone else he would have called their father by his first name, Samuel. That's normally what he would do but with Sean... he doesn't.

"He doesn't come home much but..." Sean bites his lip, scared to voice the latest incident with his father.

"But what?" Aaron asks holding his phone closer as a storm of boys shove past.

Sean lowers his voice, ashamed," he hit mom around. I couldn't-I couldn't-"

Aaron interrupts his younger brother harshly," did he hit you Sean!"

Sean jumps at the sound of his brother's loud tone," n-no! No!"

Aaron sags against the wall," good. Good."

Sean touches his face gently where the raised skin of a forming bruise is. Aaron is in Law school now. He can't come home everytime their father does. Aaron took a lot of punches for him when he was here. It's simply his turn to take a few.

Aaron tugs at his hair. Between Sean and the bar exams coming near his stress is through the roof. "Sean.." he says resting his head against the wall," I need you to promise me something."

Sean gathers his courage back," okay."

Aaron stands to his full height," if he does anything. Anything to hurt you. You will call me."

Sean bites his lip harder. His teeth draw blood. "Aaron... you don't need to protect me anymore."

Aaron smacks his hand against the wall," yes! I do! You're my baby brother, Sean. It's my job to protect you. I've always protected you and it will stay that way. Now promise me that if he comes home and you even suspect he's gonna do anything that you will leave mom. You leave her and go to Haley's."

Haley. How's he supposed to tell Aaron that it doesn't feel right going to Haley's.

When Aaron talks this time he's much calmer. "I know you lied, Sean. Get yourself cleaned up. I'm coming to get you this weekend."

Sean shakes his head," Aaron you can't. You've got school-"

Aaron laughs into the receiver," listen pal, my kid brother is a little bit more important than that. Get yourself fixed up. I'll be there Friday."