Chapter 27

I leant against the metal bar by the entrance of Marion's Camp, my arms hugging my chest, watching anxiously for Jason's truck. It was still only quarter-to-four, but I had wanted to get there early and Jason was coming from his job. At last I saw the approach of his white vehicle down the long, straight road toward me and I sighed in relief.

The snow from yesterday's light flurry had nearly all melted away. Scattered patches of white speckled the edges of the road. Jason pulled in behind my car and parked, coming over to offer me a warm embrace.

"We're the first?"

I nodded, taking his hand in mine. "Let's go and wait by the water," I suggested. We covered the same ground I had yesterday, across the parking lot, down the serpentine path which ended at the small beach area.

He wrapped his arm around my waist as we stared out to the lake. The wind was gentler today, only the slightest ruffling added texture to the smooth surface.

There were footsteps behind us and Sam came down to join us, a heavy red-checked flannel jacket holding off the cold. He nodded to us without speaking, then stared out at the lake, a shadowed look on his face. His hands dug deep into his pockets.

In another few minutes Charles joined us. His jacket was blue and red with an embroidered Patriots logo on its back. Like Sam he didn't speak a word, just moved to a spot on the beach slightly apart from us and hunched his shoulders.

Richard was the last to arrive, elegant in a dark blue wool jacket. He walked up to each of us in turn, offering a hand to shake, muttering a greeting in a low, somber voice.

At last Sam turned from his musings and looked between us. He reached into his jacket and drew out a screw-cap bottle of blush wine.

"It was her favorite kind," he muttered, then twisted off the top and tucked it into his pocket. He stared at the bottle for a long moment, then turned and held it up toward the silent lake.

"To Eileen and all her dreams," he toasted. "She had a heart of pure sweetness." He took a long swallow, then brushed at his eyes with his free hand. He offered the bottle to Charles.

Charles took the bottle, his brow creasing for a long moment. Then at last he sighed; it was as if all the air eased out of him. He held up the bottle. "To Eileen. A woman who knew her path in life and who could have achieved anything she'd set her mind to." He took a long swallow.

Richard was next. He gave a wry smile, raising the rosé. "To Eileen, an amazing individual. She could have changed the world. She could have advanced our culture. She never got her chance." He took a long drink, his cheeks burnishing in the wind.

He then turned to me with the bottle. I hesitated. I wasn't sure I felt right sharing in their personal sorrow. Richard offered it again and I could see the support in the other men's eyes. So as not to hurt their feelings, I took the bottle, staring at it for a moment.

"To Eileen," I offered, holding it aloft. "A woman of many facets. She was kind and gentle. She was intelligent and driven. She had great hopes for changing the world. Most of all, she treasured the friendship of those closest to her, those who supported her in her dreams." I met each man's eyes with my own, then took a long drink. I could see the appreciation in each pair of eyes as we turned to look out over the dark waters.

I leant against Jason, and moved the bottle toward him, but he gave the slightest shake of his head. I could feel the controlled tension along his arm where he had wrapped it around my waist.

Several long minutes passed in silence. At last Sam took the bottle back from me, re-sealing the cap. He looked as if he wanted to say something, but after a long minute he stared back out to the lake.