2

Vladdy looked out onto Tropicana Field from the Rays dugout, and turned to Steven, who was standing next to him. "So this is the new 'home base' so to say?"

"Hopefully not for long, if we are able to thwart Bettman's plans," turning over to Vladdy, "But speaking of that, what do we say if we're just randomly leaving?"

"A family emergency is the only thing I can think of. It would be stupid to injure ourselves or something."

"But wouldn't people find it a little odd that we both left at the same time, and same circumstances?"

"Hopefully not, but let's-"

Kevin Cash, the team's head coach, interrupted them saying,"Stammer, go to the bullpen, Vladdy, go out for BP." [quick note: for all who don't know, BP is batting practice] he continued to go through the team, all standing in the dugout.

The two glanced back at each other, quickly nodded, and jogged out to their respective areas of the field, and carried out the usual pregame practices.

7:10 PM, at Tropicana Field....

Steven Stamkos stood on top of the pitching mound, ready to throw out the first pitch to Jose Bautista and the catcher, Ryan Callahan. Callahan gave the signs for the pitch, Stamkos prepared, and threw out the first pitch with striking accuracy. He felt his body surge with power and knowledge of the game. The second pitch, however, didn't go as well. It hung out in the middle of the zone, and Jose gladly ripped it out to left field, where Vladdy Namestnikov dove headfirst, catching the ball just before it hit the ground.

Steven smiled and muttered,"Wow."

Vladdy pointed a finger gun and a smirk back at Stammer before he tossed the ball back to the infield.

The rest of the game went as planned- well, as planned as a nearly unexplained switch of sports that the public isn't aware of, that is.

The new Rays pulled off a 5-3 victory over the Toronto Blue Jays, fueled by the ever-presence offense.

"So when do we tell him?" Vladdy asked, leaning on the doorframe that led into Kevin Cash's postgame interview.

"Not all at once, I'll tell him first then you go." Steven replied, looking up at Vladdy from the ground.

Vladdy nodded and walked back towards the locker room, Steven following close behind.

Back in the locker room, Steven stood in the center, "Me and Vladdy both have had something come up at home, and we are both going back home to aid both of our families."

"All of us changed nearly everything that was familiar to us, and now's the time you retreat back home?" Ryan commented.

"I couldn't prevent what happened there, Ryan," Steven said calmly, "You have other captains, like Pally and Heddy"

Both teammates glanced at each other and said in unison,"Us?"

Steven nodded,"Yes, you two- we didn't put the A on your jerseys for nothing," after a short pause, "We have to go tell Cash, see you all soon." Without another word, both Steven and Vladdy walked out of the locker room and over to Kevin Cash's office.

Walking up to Cash's office, Steven stopped and said,"Stay here."

Not realizing that he wasn't there, Vladdy glanced down the hallway to see Kevin walking up to them. "You two need something?"

"We did, I was coming to say that both me and Vladdy had something come up at home, and we were both going to back and aid our families." Steven spoke up, "and we're both unsure when we'll be back."

"Oh, " Kevin paused,"Okay. I'll let everybody know, and I hope everything solves itself out." Kevin said with a grin, "See you all soon."

Vladdy grinned in return, and walked out, followed by Steven. "Well that was easier than I thought."

"For sure. And I'm just glad that we can finally get this team back to normal again."

"Yeah, I think that switch messed with their heads too." Vladdy said with a chuckle.

Later the next morning, the duo made their way to Toronto from Tampa International Airport. From the airport in Toronto, they went to their hotel to lay out their plans to turn back Bettman's.

"So, what's the plan? Storm the building and find Bettman?" Vladdy asked with a chuckle, perched on his hotel room bed.

Steven laughed and replied,"Maybe with the whole team, but let's try to fly under the radar."

"Take out the security guards and replace them with us? Then get to Bettman that way?"

"The NHL knows our faces all too well, but it might work." Stammer continued,"Any other ideas?"

After a short pause, Vladdy spoke up,"Or, we could call the NHL and say that Cash sent us here to speak with Bettman to talk about plans for a MLB-NHL cross night with the Lightning?"

"That seems a bit more logical, and easier, comparing it to our other ideas." Steven replied.

"So that's the official plan?" Vladdy asked.

"Seems like it. But let's get some sleep." Steven replied with a yawn.

Vladdy nodded and did as his captain was told , getting some not so relaxing sleep.

Evan Longoria sat in the middle of a dark room, tied down to a chair, with none other than Gary Bettman standing in front of him.

Longoria? The guy who did really good for the Rays? Why does Bettman have him?

Bettman stepped forward and ripped the duct tape off of Evan's mouth and started,"So this is the star of the Tampa Bay Rays, whose talent switched over to hockey?"

"What do you want from me?" Evan mumbled in a raspy voice.

"Your glory, fame, and appreciation from your own fans. Oh, and to see your team crash and burn." Bettman replied, a smirk plastered to his face,"So I'll have to take that from you."

No.. Not him. He doesn't deserve this.

Bettman continued by wrapping a velcro strap with a small gadget on top around Evan's arm. He pressed a small button on the side, which pulled out gold and light blue streaks from Longoria's back. Evan screamed in agony from the strength getting sucked from his body and the pain that came with it.

NO! Not him! Let it be me, the lightning! Just stop it!

"Vladdy!" Steven shouted to his teammate who bolted awake, breathing heavily. "You were screaming in your sleep."

"My dream, if it was some sort of vision, we might be too late to save the Rays." Vladdy replied in between breaths.

----
author's note: hey guys, just popping in to say that updates may slow down- as I have to deal with volleyball (yes I play that too), and upcoming softball, as well as homework. I'll try my best to update as much/make chapters as long/good as possible.

sorry for the slow-ness, and thanks for putting up with it!

~LW