17

I feel air rushing around me. I open my eyes and realize that I'm falling from the sky. Instead of freaking out to begin with, my reaction is me being extremely irritated.

"Of course the window had to open in the sky. It'd be too easy to have it open on the ground."

Then like two seconds later my delayed panic kicks in.

"OH CRAP I'M FALLING FROM THE SKY!!"

Instantly I flail my arms around, not like it's accomplishing anything, I just look ridiculous, but hey when you're about to die what does it matter?

I quickly think back to the metal spider and I press it tightly into my palm. I feel the tendrils from the spider weave it's way onto me and I'm back in the protective suit again.

"Ok now what?" I ask myself frantically.

Each second the Houston skyline was rushing closer and closer, if I don't do something then I'm going to die. I had to figure something out and fast.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see a building close enough to me that I might be able to shoot a web to. Hopefully my crash course in web shooting from my dad was enough.

"Oh God please let this work." I mumble.

I shoot a web towards the building and I'm jerked sideways as the web catches and holds onto the bricks. Now I have to time my jump to the building, too early I go smash onto the pavement below, too late I go crash into the building. Either way it's a painful death...let's hope I get it right.

Just before I hit the wall, I take a deep breath and jump. I let go of the web and land onto the side of the building safely. I let out my breath as a sigh of relief then I climb the last few inches to get on top of the roof.

I survey the traffic below me on the city streets, judging by the not fully congested traffic lights I think it's maybe around 2:30 or 3:00. Perfect, that gives me time to go back to Layla's. Hopefully she won't destroy me for not being at school today, but knowing her, she probably will. The last time something like that happened...let's just say it wasn't pretty.

I look around and see that I'm in the heart of Houston, it will probably take me a while to get to Layla's walking. Then an idea pops into my head: Why not web swing instead? I mean I do have spider powers might as well use them. Plus it'll be great practice for web swinging.

I look out over the edge of the building and instantly regret my idea.

"Do you want to learn how to web swing or don't you self?" I say nervously.

Well today's the day to get over my fear of heights I guess. After a few minions of me psyching myself up, I jump off top of the building and free fall for a few seconds until I see a street lamp. I quickly shoot a web towards it and I'm shot forward by the momentum. I use the extra momentum to get some speed then I let go and am surprised when I fly for a little bit through the air.

"Ha ha yes! I'm doing it!" I say triumphantly.

I repeat this process until I get to Layla's apartment building. How I got there wasn't exactly pretty...there may or may not be some damages to parked cars somewhere...

But that's ok because I have plenty of time to get better at web swinging.

~~~~~~~~~~
Hey guys!!

So I'm officially back in school now and I dread it tomorrow but I'll survive I guess. I hope you're all enjoying the book so far, I know I'm enjoying writing it.

As always please vote, comment, and share!!

Adíos!!

🕸Thwip🕸
ScarletApollo99 🕷