Episode 3: Renel

December 5th 1939

The Old Director waited on the platform for the new engine to arrive. When he did, The Old Director greeted him warmly.

"Welcome to are railway," he said politely.

"Thank you," said Renel, "I'll injoy it as much as I can, what work is need to be done."

"Well, there is some rails and sleepers needed to be taken to your branchline," replied The Old Director.

"Great," smiled Renel, "I'll set to work then." And he puffed away.
Caleb watch until he puffed behind the station building to the yards.

"He's a GWR 14xx class, isn't he?" he asked.

"Yes," replied The Old Director.

"So he's auto fitted?" said Caleb.

"Yes," replied The Old Director again.

"Shouldn't he had brought some of those auto coaches then?" he asked.

"Don't worry," said The Old Director turning to him, "I have brought two auto coaches from the GWR and they'll arrive in two days."

Caleb then smiled, thanked the director and pulled out of the station with a troup train.

That night, when Renel got back to the sheds, he was very exhausted. The branch had started to take shape as well as the Truds branch. The Old Controller was please with him and nothing had gone wrong. But John, a careless engine puffed next to Renel in a birth and started to tease him.

"Who, calls an engine Renel," he started, "I mean they don't have proper names hear but this name, it's ridiculous!"

John started to howl with laughter. Renel then rolled his eyes.

"If you know the reasons why," he said, "you wouldn't be laughing."

"What do you mean?" asked Anderson.

Renel chuckle and then told a story.

'I was built in 1937, I was then taken to a harbour, usally engines like us took names from are first drivers or don't get one. My driver was a horrid man, he was always drunk and made me have ruff riding, it was a relife when he got sact and a new driver took his place. But my number was already stuck as my name.'

The engines look at his number, '1412'.

'The engines tease me about it but one tease me the most. Renel was a boat that always hated railways. He was rude to the engines and always teases when he had the chance. He tease me aspecialy because of I only had a number. "You silly engine," he would say, "get a proper name like me." I would try not to listen but sometimes his remarks were to rude to ignore. One stormy night I was resting in the shed when my driver and fireman came running up.

"Whats the matter?" I asked.

"Renel is in danger," said my driver, "he can't make it into a position at one of the decks without your help."

I thought I would leave him, but when I thought about the crew members. So I said nothing as I puffed away. Renel look embrasses and scare but I new what to do. With the help of the workmen and crew, we manage to attach a cable to me and Renel and with an all mighty heave. I start pulling the boat back to the harbour and soon the crew members were heading to the hospital.

After that my driver and fireman called me Renel and it stuck for years.'

The engines stared in wonder.

"What happen to Renel?" asked Caleb.

"Oh, he's still around," said Renel, he then smiled, "it's funny, that he had not said a word to us engines, but only when nessasary."

The engines chuckle. Soon Renel coaches arrive and he and then had a repaint, he came out of the works shed with Normal Blue anf his coaches blue at the bottom and cream at the top. He still assign to build the line until it's opening and with Harok. They started to get to work.