one

it was never supposed to end up the way it had.

it was supposed to be a few small lies. maybe some cleaning up, after the fact.

harry hated leaving the blood on the walls.

in the beginning, i had been skeptical. my guilty conscience weighed heavy on my heart, even though i was essentially the maid at the end of harry's process.

but as time went on, i became more than that.

"darling, could you come here? i need a favor."

"what do you need?" i asked as i walked into the back room where i heard his voice emanating from. when i stepped into the room, i couldn't believe my eyes.

blood.

the walls were splattered with the deep crimson color and the floor was soaked.

there was a stench in the room, something i had not smelled before but would now remember as the first day that had changed my life.

"w-what have you done? harry, what is this?" i shrieked, only to be met with harry holding his crimson covered hands up in surrender.

"sweetheart, listen. please listen to me. this isn't as bad as it seems, he was a bad man and it needed to happen this way," he told me softly, as if i were a panicked little bird he had found in the grass.

"why did you do this? oh my god, harry you're going to go to prison. do you know what happens in prison?" i shouted at him.

"sh, hey." he wipes his hands on a towel and moves to put his arms around me. he held me tight as he explained. "you're alright. i just need a little help, ah, cleaning up, okay? i will take care of the bo- everything else."

looking back now, i realize harry was trying to convince me more than he was trying to calm me down. the first six or seven times, he would censor things. he would never say the words corpse, body, murder, or evidence. and he never spoke about his weapons or motive.

he never told me what he was doing that involved him with these various men and women, or what his drive was to kill them in the way that he did.

the killings that occurred were often violent and heinous, nothing like the harry i knew, who held me when i cried and had let me decorate our entire house when he convinced me to move in with him at eighteen.

all harry had ever told me was that my role in this was simply to help him and keep quiet. some times i wished i could be more, i wish i could have the power rush harry tells me about.

"will you do that for me, doll? will you help me?" he asked me softly, kissing my cheek. "it would be really appreciated."

i nodded hesitantly, and he kissed my cheek again. "thank you, honey." he smiled, and i took the bucket full of water and cleaning solution.

and in taking that, i took my fate for the rest of my life.

here ya go

the cover for this book as well as the new one for mozart were created by my most darling friend, lucifercado , whose insight and support has been much appreciated as i start this book

7/11/18 : updated to change a few things and add some detail. new chapter to come