Chapter 2

White. That's the first thing I saw when I finally woke up. So much white. Am I dead? I thought, right before I felt a heavy ache throughout my whole body. Damn I was hoping death would be less painful. I must have voiced my thoughts out loud, because I heard a shrill laugh from my left. I turned my head with much effort to see her seated beside me. Her sea green eyes were puffy and red, and her mouth was quivering in a half smile half sob as she jumped towards me and reached for my hand. It was only then that I realized where I was.

I was lying on a firm white hospital bed with tubes running all over the place. I tried to shift into her touch but froze as I realized I couldn't move my legs. I let out a panicked cry as I stretch my arms and tried to pat my legs. I could feel lumps under my hands but I could not feel the weight of my hands on my legs. My breathing became ragged and I looked to the hand still firmly grasping mine.

"Layla" I breathed, letting the panic coat my voice. My heart was racing. What was wrong? Why couldn't I feel my legs? Was I paralyzed? I could feel a cry building in my throat.

"Shhh, it is okay," She breathed, but something in her voice made me look over at her face. Layla, the most beautiful girl I had ever met. Her face was creased with grief, and her brow was furrowed with concern. "There was an accident" she said, and the blinding memories came flashing back to me. Calm blue, then bright white, then red. Nothing but red.

"I remember," I croaked. I just focused on her face. Her beautiful green eyes locked on the wall behind me, refusing to make contact with mine. I let my eyes roam over her features, my ragged breath calming as I did so. My gaze moved from her brilliant eyes to a dark yellowing bruise that has formed at her temple, a result of the incident, I assumed. My gaze shifted to her defined yet soft jaw to the curve of her nose. Her face was outlined with jet black curled hair and I had to fight my urge to reach out and play with the ringlets. I raked my eyes over her lips, and my heart rate picked up its pace, the beeping of the machine giving away its racing pulse. Damn.

"Robin?!" She jumped closer to the bed and finally locked her eyes with mine, fear shining clearly in her gaze. "Robin are you in pain? I will call the doctor hang on!" She tried to rush away but I snatched her hand in mine, and then had to bite back a grunt as pain shot up my side. Layla stopped moving and squeezed my hand tighter.

"Please be careful, you have a broken rib and severe damage to your spine and legs. The explosion from the bomb cause the building to collapse" she said, her voice becoming distant as she stated the details. "You were crushed in the debris" just then her voice hitched and she bit back a sob as she continued "You wouldn't be in this condition right now if you hadn't tried to push me out of the way" and that was the last word she said before she broke down completely, losing her battle against the sobs that now racked her body.

Layla lowered her head onto my hand as she leaned against the bed. "I am so sorry Robin" she choked out between her sobs. It was then that the doctor walked in. As he looked up from his chart shock rolled over his expression.

"How did you get in here?" he asked, eyes locked on Layla. "This is an authorized personal only ICU wing!"

Layla glared back at him with fire in her eyes. "Well let's just say I made myself an authorized personal". I couldn't hide the smile spreading across my lips as I watched her square off with the doctor. That's my good old Layla.

"I am going to have to ask you to leave before I call security. The patient is not ready for visitors, and you are putting her health at risk" The doctor kept his voice low, but it was thick with authority and menace. Layla pursed her lips at his words and glanced at me.

"I don't want to hurt you more than I already have" her voice was thick and I could tell she was trying to stop the tears in her eyes. "I will be near by". With that she got up and stalked past the doctor who held the door for her. Once she was gone he turned toward me.

"I'm glad you have woken up. We need to discuss your condition". Layla's presence had calmed my fear but it now reared back and my heart beat picked up its pace. "You have undergone 5 surgeries in the past week. Three of these were reconstructive surgeries on your legs, one was to treat a punctured lung that resulted from a broken rib, and one was to correct spinal damage, in a nut shell. All of the surgeries went well, but there will be long term effects of your injuries. However, we are going to take things one day at a time for now. But what I do know is that you are one tough girl" He smiled warmly at me and I tried to gain control over my voice

" I can't feel my legs and everything hurts. Is that normal? And exactly how long have I been unconscious?" I said, my voice only wavering slightly.

"You have been out for six days. With the extent of your injuries you are going to be in some pain for a while. We will treat you with various pain killers when needed but these have side effects that we will need to discuss." He lifted his eyes away from his chart and locked his gaze with mine. "I will not sugar coat this, you have a long recovery ahead of you. As it stands now you may never be able to walk again. A team of doctors has been assigned to you to help you through this, but you may want to have people you care about with you" His voice was deep and had a hint of warmth laced through it. I took a deep breath.

"Well you just kicked one of those people out of my room doc" I said, attempting a sly smile at the man. He huffed out a laugh and walked towards the door.

"You will be transferred in a few hours. Now that you are awake and stable you can be moved out of the ICU, your friends and family can visit you then." He raised his hand and waved has he left the room and two nurses came in to take my vitals. I drifted off, forgetting about the numbness in my legs and the pain in my side, and thinking of the girl whom was still alive and well enough to sneak into a restricted area and commit her usual rebellious acts. Thank whoever is looking down on us.

Hey everyone! I'm still trying to work on a proper schedule, but the next part of the story will be published soon!