1. I Have Another Brilliant Idea

Hello, dear readers!

This is my entry for the #AStormOfFanFiction contest! If you haven't read the Storm and Silence series by Robert Thier, this probably won't make much sense, so I'd suggest doing that first, because it's an awesome series. All original characters in this story belong to Robert Thier.

It's really difficult for me to share my writing with other people, so please, no mean comments, although constructive criticism is always welcome.
Happy reading!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stomped up the stairs to the bedroom and flopped onto the bed in a decidedly unladylike fashion, burying my face into the pillow and letting loose a string of words that would not be polite to say in the Queen's company. Or the company of anybody besides a group of drunken sailors, for that matter.

A dainty finger gave my shoulder a dainty tap, and a dainty voice said, "Lilly? Are you feeling quite alright? Should I fetch Aunt Brank?"

I rolled over just enough that I could peek out at the worried blue eyes of my dainty little sister, Ella. "Maybe you should just bring me a bit of sherry. I bet I'll perk right back up after that."

Ella sat back slightly -- thankfully, as our closeness as sisters was not meant to be literal -- and wrung her hands. "Well, I... I suppose I could see if we have some... but Lill, it probably wouldn't be beneficial, seeing your state, for you to partake in" -- her voice dropped a few levels -- "drinking, and such things..."

I rolled my face back into my pillow. "Mmfr oo rnggr mndsff, mmw nkgng."

"Err, what was that?"

"Before you wring your hands off, I was only joking." I rolled over fully onto my back with a sigh. "My feet are sore from being up and down all day, that's all."

Ella clapped her hands, which was not beneficial to the headache blooming behind my eyes. "Oh, I'm so glad it's not anything serious. But if your feet are hurting that badly, perhaps you should stay in tomorrow instead of going off to -- what was it you were doing, again?"

"Scouting for eligible suitors in the park."

"Right." Ella's pretty brow creased slightly, and I wondered if maybe she was beginning to learn the fine art of seeing through a complete and total lie. Good for her. "In any case, I think you should stay in bed tomorrow."

"No, no, I am not going to stay home just because of a little foot ache. He'd kill me," I groaned, and immediately clapped a hand over my mouth when I realized what had escaped.

"So it is your dashing man again!" Ella's eyes sparkled. "Don't be silly, he would never kill you for that! He's certainly infatuated with you and your charms."

"Actually, he probably wouldn't kill me simply because it would take too much of his precious time and get blood on the upholstery. The more likely scenario would be for one of his employees to kill me in some dark alley, or for him to simply abandon me in the middle of some wilderness we were trekking through."

Ella bubbled on, not paying attention to my speech. "Just send him a note about your condition. Maybe he'll send a carriage to pick you up."

"Unlikely." I sat up, considering. "I would ride my velocipede -- that created such a fun stir last time! -- but after I ran over that man in the park, Aunt was so furious that she hid it while I was out." I tapped at my chin. "I suppose I could pay for a cab. I have enough money now. Or I could even rent a coach!" I smiled deviously to myself. "He'd be surprised by that. Probably lecture me on reckless spending. Although he can't argue if it improves my efficiency, right?"

Ella looked as if she had lost the thread of the conversation, but being the polite, well-mannered young lady that she was, she nodded along encouragingly.

My aches and pains forgotten, I grinned up at the ceiling as I pictured the scene: myself, arriving in a bedecked coach befitting a high ranking gentleman working for the richest man in England. The richest and stingiest man in England, that is, whose left pinky would start twitching uncontrollably as he realized that his secretly female employee was riding in greater splendor than anyone else at Empire House!

I leapt to my feet as an even better idea popped into my head, an idea that would show my employer exactly what I thought of society's ridiculous notions! I ran to the door, shouting, "Ella, I'm a genius! Don't wait up for me!"

~~~~~~~~~~
Vote and comment if you're enjoying it so far! (Next chapter is longer, I promise.)