Chapter 16

**Percy's PoV**

I wasn't expecting the training Kronos had mentioned to happen as soon as it did. Luke had started with more sword training, but sooner than later he had me practicing the powers I had received with his blessing. Using his new powers exhausted him, but he supposed that that was normal.

"Perseus."

I froze. Luke and I had been training for the last month, and not once had Kronos decided to stop in and watch. I stopped testing out the powers before Kronos would think that I was using them on him. He didn't exactly sound angry with me, but the use of my full name left me on guard. Kronos watched me as I turned around to face him.

"Yes, Lord Kronos?" I asked slowly. "Is there anything I can do for you?"

"I have an important task for you," he said, looking from me to Luke. "Though it seems your friends are willing to join our cause, I have reason to believe that they are still a tad bit reluctant. I want you to convince them to join."

I wanted to comment when he said 'our', but the fear of punishment was too strong. He watched me closely as if he was looking for hesitation, and when he saw me nod, he let out a grin. I glanced at Luke. By the looks of it, he had no idea I would be put in charge of getting them on our side.

"Sir, what about our training?" Luke asked. "What if him convincing them takes more time than we have?"

"Are you doubting my authority, Son of Hermes?" Kronos scowled, and in my head I was shocked. Kronos was angry at someone other than me? "I am more than willing to punish you for your sudden outburst, Luke Castellan."

Luke quickly apologized, sending me an annoyed look when he saw the smug look plastered on my face. I couldn't help but let out a small laugh at his expression. Kronos raised an eyebrow at me.

"Is something funny, Percy?"

I stopped laughing just as quickly as I had started. He kept his eyebrow raised, watching me. I gave him a sheepish look.

"The look Luke gave me was amusing," I said shyly, and that conversation ended.

I looked up at the door as it opened, revealing one of Kronos' minions bringing Annabeth, Grover, and the Stolls inside the room. Luke was ushered out of the room. The four standing in front of me seemed like they wanted to say something, but they kept their mouths shut.

"I hear you're having second thoughts about joining us."

"Percy, you don't have to do this," Grover bleated.

"I do," I snapped. "There are cameras all over this room. I suggest you shut your mouth before you get everyone in trouble."

Annabeth flinched, causing me to wince. I took a deep breath and walked over to her. She was going to be the easiest, he figured. She had been close with Luke and had the chance to be close to me, too, if I hadn't been wearing those flying shoes that had brought me to this Hell. She was prideful, though, and that was what worried me.

"Percy..." I ignored Travis.

"Annabeth, we'll be able to hang out if you just join us. You can spend time with Luke and I, and when Kronos wins," I grimaced as the words left my mouth, and I hoped that the expression was not picked up by the camera. "We'll have all the time in the world."

Annabeth just stared at me as though I had just said the most offensive thing to her. I was offering her to betray the gods. Was that a stab to her pride? It sure felt like a stab to my loyalty.

8/1/17