Chapter 1

I grabbed my rucksack and jumped out my mum's old Volvo, catching my skirt on the seatbelt as I went. 'Careful Rosie! If you snag that brand new skirt I will kill you!' She exclaimed, quickly pulling the material off the metal, stopping it from ripping. I rolled my eyes, and bobbed over to kiss her cheek. It was odd; fashion was one of my many passions, but it seemed my mum cared more than me. I'd paired a new black skirt with a striped t shirt, and an oversized mustard cardie with holes in was my choice of jacket; I had to master the shabby chic. My mum had suggested adding fishnet tights to made it look less immature and for once I actually took her advice, slipping on some black doc martens with yellow laces to complete the look. I walked towards the school, new territory for me, my boots crunching over the gravel. I turned and waved to my mum, my hair slapping my face. My butterscotch locks were tied half up in a little ponytail, the rest hanging down like normal. It was the best way to be practical, but still look cute, in my eyes.

I'd come to this school for one reason; science. Mansion Academy was holding a summer school; 5 days in the summer to come and have fun in the subject of your choice. Luckily, I wasn't doing it alone, and I discovered this as I walked through the door. In the hall, packed with nerdy teens, I saw 3 friends sat on the front row, beckoning me to sit down; Kyle, Gavin and Jem. Both Kyle and Gavin were maths boffins, but Jem was a writer, with a passion for plays, to be precise. I'd always been jealous of Kyle's heritage; his mother was Indian and his father french. He was blessed with bilingualism and tanned skin, and probably would have been relatively attractive if it wasn't for his glasses and clothes. Gavin was an idiot. He was ridiculously lanky, and had short dark curly hair. He too had glasses, and they were very similar to Kyle's except the glass was thicker than a wall; he had a mole's eyesight. Then, there was Jem. Sweet, innocent, and possibly the ugliest boy I'd ever seen. Why did all the clever people have to look like frogs? It drove me crazy. He was tall like Gavin, but with muscle, and sharper facial features. He looked a bit like a rugby player, but he was far from it. Seeing them after quite a while was so lovely; we'd had 3 weeks of holiday already. 'Autumn-Rose! We missed you!' Jem called, and I grinned. He was the only person who called me by my full name. 'Hey Jemmy Dodger. Looking bomb as usual.' I sat down in the empty seat between him and Gavin that they had saved for me, and flicked his leather jacket. He blushed, and Gavin nudged me. 'He's trying to impress Cecelia from st John's. She's taking the same masterclass as us, this year.' I didn't know how it was possible, but Jem turned a darker shade of scarlet. I giggled. 'Go for it, Jem my son. I'm proud of you.' I gave him a squeeze and noticed Kyle raising his eyebrows at my fishnets. 'Love those bad boys, Auty!' He said, winking. I sighed, smirking. 'Honestly. Kyle, if you want me to believe you're not gay, fashion comments aren't going to help.' Now there was 2 of them blushing, and 2 of us laughing. Gavin was about to churn out one of his racist jokes, before there was a loud bell.

'Classes! Brilliant!' I exlaimed, and rocketed from my seat. I followed the professor holding up the sign for Bio-Engineering; my favourite area of Biology and Phorensics. The professor smiled at me as I joined the queue of people, and I immediately recognised her. 'Professor Ampleforth!' I shouted in joy, and a girl in front of me glared. Ampleforth laughed, and beckoned me to the front of the line. 'Hello, Autumn. I hope you did your work that I set you last time I saw you.' 'Of course, professor. My essay is right here. I hoped you would be coming here to teach, but I didn't think it would be my class. I only used 6 references, and it's not my best work, I'd say about undergraduate standard.' Ampleforth rolled her eyes. 'My dear girl, you are the only student who can make undergraduate sound poor. Anyway, I think I'll cope without the usually postgraduate PhD quality.' I blushed in shame, looking at all the people staring at me. I heard a couple of students whispering.'
'She's doing University assignments? That's so difficult! She's 16!'

'My dad didn't do his PhD until he was 34... I bet she'll do it this year!'

'Personally I just think she's a show off. What a bitch! Who cares if she does her PhD before she's even old enough for Uni?'

'Don't be so mean, Patsy!'

'No, I agree with her. You shouldn't just boast about your work loud enough for everyone to hear!'

I felt hot and clammy as the line of students went into the laboratory. There were 12 stations; each one labelled with someone's name. Mine was next to Patsy; oh, the irony! As she walked over, I gave her a sickly sweet smile, and she suddenly became very interested in the microscope. 'Hello, Patsy! I couldn't help overhear the conversation you and your posse were having.' Her eyes went wide. 'I really don't appreciate you commenting like that. I mean, saying I'm doing my PhD this year? Ridiculous!' I eased close to her, and she shivered. ' I've already done 3, just for fun!' I winked and strolled off, to collect my warm up assignment.

'Sam! You're late!' My head snapped up at Ampleforth's shrill voice. Stood in the doorway, was a boy with deep mahogany hair and piercing forget me not eyes, and my breath caught.