Chapter 17

She winced again when she saw the hanyou being thrown against the hard wall. His sword was knocked from his hand and he didn't get up. She saw the red in Sesshomaru's eyes and decided she had to do something. He dashed forward at the same time Kagome did, ignoring the guard's protest. She jumped in front of the hanyou a fraction of a second before Sesshomaru would have plunged his sword into his brother's heart. She closed her eyes tightly just before being struck by Sesshomaru's blade.

Everyone gasped.

Kagome waited and waited for the blade to slice through her, but nothing happened. Or had she already been stabbed, and hadn't felt the pain yet because she was so shocked? Or maybe she was dead?

That last thought terrified her more than it would have just little over two weeks ago. 'Had it only been two weeks? It felt like longer.' She thought irrelevantly. Just before that time frame, she would have gladly opened her arms to death, if only it would end her suffering. But now, she wasn't quite ready to die. Not when she had little Rin to care for for a little bit longer. Not when she had people depending on her, not when she had hundreds and thousands of lives she could save if only she lived long enough to take her throne. Not when she still had to end that bastard hanyou's life before he could do anymore damage.

With that thought in mind she peeked an eye open. She then blinked open both eyes, staring belatedly down at the sword tip that was pointed half of half an inch above her heart. They widened, and followed the sword length up to its hilt where a pale hand with twin magenta stripes held it perfectly still. She followed that hand up an arm encased in white, to a wide shoulder she knew was rippled with powerful muscles, up a slender neck that still bore a few fang bites, to a pointed chin and strong jaw, then finally, to furious, molten amber eyes that glared at her, not with hatred, but with disbelief.

"You...baka!" He snapped, lowering his weapon to his side. "Do you realize, you daft wench, that you could have been killed just now?"

Kagome's eyes widened even more at his sharp tone. She didn't even think his voice could get that loud. "B-baka? Daft?"

His nostrils flared. "Are you deaf now? Do you have to repeat my words? I believe I just spoke them clearly and loudly enough."

Kagome was shocked, both from being this close to death, and his being so livid because he was the one who'd nearly killed her. Even as the shock remained, her anger kicked in. "Oh, I heard you perfectly clear, you dolt! And lucky for you I was not killed, otherwise you'd be standing there looking like a complete dunce! Do you know that had I not stepped in, your brother, your only remaining bloodline, would have died?"

His angry aura struck hers. "That was the point, you stupid idiot! He challenged me, and I accepted. You had no right whatsoever to step in."

Kagome's own aura retaliated, pushing against his. "And then what, Sesshomaru? If you had killed your own brother, what would your precious people think of you then? Had it been anyone else then I am quite sure it could have been acceptable, but this is your brother, for kamis sake! Have a care!"

"If anyone should have a care, it is you, you clueless wench." He took a threatening step towards her. "You forget your place and you stick your body, literally, in matters it doesn't need to be in."

"I believe you tend to forget my place as well. I will not stand by and allow you to ruthlessly murder your brother. And for what? To simply quench your hatred of him? And what, pray tell, would that do? Can you really live with that in your mind, Sesshomaru? What would you father think if you-"

"Enough!" He roared, his eyes bleeding red. He pointed a long, slender finger in her face. "I have had more than enough of you incessant blabbering. You have been a bane in my existence since the moment you ran into me, and I have had enough! I find not a single trait pleasing about you! Your looks, your personality- everything about you leaves very, very little to be desired. You are an insolent shofu-bitch who needs to be put in her place. Leave my presence, better yet my home, at once, you manuke aho, and do not ever return!"