Chapter 3~ A Surprise for The Company

Kili lead Clairaus through the trees, strictly keeping in front of the creature. He hoped and prayed that Thorin wouldn't be too angry at him for brining a wolf back to camp.  It was a risky move, but Clairaus really didn't seem to be any sort of threat.

"I do hope your company has something to eat. I haven't eaten in days, you see. I seem to have gotten lost..." This spiked Kili's attention. "You said you were traveling somewhere?" he asked. "Well, yes...." Clairaus answered, uneasily. "I'm searching for something very important to my family...." Kili waited for her to continue, but she said nothing else. Letting out a huff, he continued onward.

Thorin was waiting patiently for his younger nephew to return. Fili had already come back, and even found a little firewood. It was unnerving that Kili was still yet to return. Just as Thorin was about send a search party for his nephew, Kili arose from the ferns right in front of him. "Kili, I'm relieved you made it back safely. Though, I do hope you remembered why I sent you out in the first place." Thorin said rather gruffly.

"Well Thorin, sir, I did scout the area like you said..." Kili started nervously. "But I did end up finding something." Thorin's eyes widened from the news he was given. "D-don't worry, nobody is following us!" Kili said quickly. "However....There is something else..."

Dwalin, who had overheard the strange conversation, bounded over. "Out with it laddie. What'd you find?"

Kili looked at both of them nervously. "Well, see it's-"

"WOOOOLLLFFF!"

The company turned to the back of the camp to find the owner of the terrified scream, which belonged to Bilbo, hiding behind a large rock, and pointing at a familiar creature helping herself to the freshly cooked soup.

The dwarves sprang into action, unsheathing their weapons and pointing them at Clairaus, who was now licking her paws contently after finishing an entire bowl of soup. Kili hurried towards her and put his hands up defensively in front of the company. "Stop! She won't harm anyone here!" Before anyone could say anything about it, Clairaus piped up over the din.

"Wondeful soup this is! Haven't tasted anything like this in days! My greatest compliments to the chef!" Close by, Bombur swelled with pride from hearing this. Thorin took a few steps closer to the wolf, his face expressing pure amazement. "A talking wolf..." he murmured half to himself. "I have never heard nor seen such a beast before in my life...." Thorin held up his hand to the company. The dwarves slowly, unsure if the command was the correct one.

"I am called Clairaus, before you ask, Master Dwarf." The she-wolf said before Thorin could open his mouth. She stands up on her hindquarters a bit wobbly, walks over to Thorin, and shakes his hand. "You must be Thorin. Pleasure to meet you, truly it is." Clairaus said happily, giving his hand a little shake. Thorin stood there, slightly slackjawed. Giving himself a bit of a shake, he returned the handshake vigorously.

"Ahem, erm it's a pleasure to meet you as well, Clairaus." He said, still a bit taken aback. "How do you know of me?" The wolf beamed at him happily. "I have heard of you all about Middle Earth." She winked at Kili, who gave a small sigh of relief and smiled back. "And, forgive me, for this is just a rumor, but I have heard that you plan to take back a mountain.

The atmosphere suddenly became thick and tense as Thorin's eyes turned from slightly friendly and shocked to cold and dangerous. "What do you know of the Lonely Mountain?" He spoke, authority in his voice. Clairaus gave him a slight questioning look.

"I know that there is a very large, very dangerous dragon that lives there." She said smoothly. "Surely to reach the Lonely Mountain would be running straight to your deaths, is it not?"

There was an uproar immediately as the dwarves began protesting.

"Who're yew tae say what we're doin' eh?"

"Erabor is our home!"

"We deserve to live there, not that scaly beast!"

"QUIET!"

Thorin's voice rang throughout the camp as the dwarves soon became silent. Thorin turned back to Clairaus.

"Now then... What business of it is yours to of where we are headed, and what we plan to do?" He began.

"Well, you see, there's a family heirloom passed down my family's bloodline for centuries, and that dragon somehow got its filthy claws on it." She said, nervously rubbing her paws together. "I know I could be of at least some use to you all.... That is if you will have me..."

Thorin looked dead into the wolf's eyes. There was sincereness, truth, fullheartedness, and.... something else.... "Fine. You may travel with us. At least for the time being." Clairaus dropped back on all fours and bowed low at the dwarf's feet. "Thank you, sir! Thank you! You will not regret this decision, I promise!"

She picked herself up and soon trotted away to talk with the other dwarves. Thorin watched her long, fluffy tail as she padded off, mulling over the decision he just made. This beast better be true to her word... I fear I may have made a mistake.

He sighed tiredly, rubbing his temples. Well, there's one last thing that must be done now. Thorin began striding away unsurely.

I must consult the wizard about this... 'Clairaus'.