I. Craftswomanship

"Can you pass me that?" Jillian Holtzmann said, gesturing to the wrench on the apartment floor. Patty Tolan obediently looked up from her paper and leaned back to grab Holtz's desired object. Handing it to her, she shot her a 'you're welcome' look, whipped her newspaper back open and continued reading.

Not more than five minutes later, Jillian asked Patty to retrieve another item for her, this time further away. Sighing and slapping her paper down, Patty spoke as she walked to the tool. "Holtzmann, next time you get in your weird little zone, can you please make sure you have what you need? I'm trying to get myself educated and up-to-date. Puh-lease." She pushed the item to Holtz's glove, who nodded while preoccupied.

A more concerned Abby Yates chimed in from the pink booth in which she resided. "Holtz, why are you keeping blowtorches on the floor? Was that... oh my God, Holtz, was that even locked?"

Holtz examined the potentially dangerous civilized fire gun, all whilst not making eye contact with either of the women. "Absolutely not." She set it down and went back to her work. Patty shook her head disapprovingly. Abby laid one hand on the table, the other massaging her temple, which served as the only way to keep her sanity.

Holtzmann continued working, using the blowtorch to fix her mistakes in her work from time to time. Each time the torch was activated, Patty shifted slightly further away from the workstation.

Eventually, Holtz started to become fed-up with the mistakes in her welding and decided she had enough. She swiped the piece across the table, sending it flying across the room, hitting a wall. Both Abby and Patty jumped. Holtzmann picked up the blowtorch and with all angst that her petite body could muster, lit Patty's newspaper on fire. Patty immediately dropped the newspaper and stood up, backing away from the crazed woman. Abby stood up and rushed to retrieve the fire extinguisher which was always at hand for moments like these.

"HOLTZMANN, ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR DAMN MIND?!" Patty took the red extinguisher from Abby's hands, stood back, and put out the mini fire Jillian had set.

"Do I really have to answer that question still?" Holtz said with a small grin, leaning on the table, observing her destruction.

Patty stared at Holtz for a minute, knowing she had a point but still was too dumbfounded to answer her question. Tolan turned to Abby and said "This is the third time this week she has done this! Abby, who in their right mind still lets this woman keep fire-dispersing objects in her possession?"

Abby sighed. "Nobody, Patty. Kevin buys them for her," Taking the fire extinguisher back from the tall woman, she set it in the corner between the couch and window.

Holtzmann chuckled. "The nicest thing about him is that his age serves as a tool for maniacs like me who aren't allowed in stores that sell items such as those babies. He acts eight, but thankfully is over eighteen." Holtz walked over to the mini-fridge next to her workplace with a swift stride and retrieves a Diet Coke, pops a paper straw in it, and plopped herself back down in her chair. Looking through the tops of her glasses at the two women, she slips the straw into the corner of her mouth and sips.

Patty shakes her head again and checks her watch. "I'm going home. It's too damn late for people like you to be out and about, and I don't want to be around it."

"Your loss," Holtz snickered in reply. She fiddled with her gloves, removing them and placing them in a drawer underneath her bench. Patty exited through the door, not giving Holtz another ounce of satisfaction through a reply.

"Im with her. Love you though, Holtzy. Really do. Don't touch anything dangerous before Erin gets back, okay? Promise? This is our workplace, Holtzy. We lose this and the people downstairs lose their crappy restaurant." Abby briefly remembers the countless number of times the Chinese restaurant has ripped her off and almost takes back her thought, but holds her angst in. One day Karma will come back for such evil acts.