BOOK 2

All night in sleep repos'd the other Gods, And helmed warriors; but the eyes of Jove Sweet slumber held not, pondering in his mind How to avenge Achilles' cause, and pour Destructive slaughter on the Grecian host. Thus as he mus'd, the wisest course appear'd By a deluding vision to mislead The son of Atreus; and with winged words Thus to a phantom form he gave command: "Hie thee, deluding Vision, to the camp And ships of Greece, to Agamemnon's tent; There, changing nought, as I command thee, speak. Bid that he arm in haste the long-hair'd Greeks To combat; for the wide-built streets of Troy He now may capture; since th' immortal Gods Watch over her no longer; all are gain'd By Juno's pray'rs; and woes impend o'er Troy."

He said: the Vision heard, and straight obey'd: Swiftly he sped, and reached the Grecian ships, And sought the son of Atreus; him he found Within his tent, wrapped in ambrosial sleep; Above his head he stood, like Neleus' son, Nestor, whom Agamemnon rev'renc'd most Of all the Elders; in his likeness cloth'd Thus spoke the heav'nly Vision; "Sleep'st thou, son Of Atreus, valiant warrior, horseman bold? To sleep all night but ill becomes a chief, Charg'd with the public weal, and cares of state. Hear now the words I bear; to thee I come A messenger from Jove, who from on high Looks down on thee with eyes of pitying love. He bids thee arm in haste the long-hair'd Greeks To combat; since the wide-built streets of Troy Thou now mayst capture; for th' immortal Gods Watch over her no longer; all are gain'd By Juno's pray'rs; and woes impend o'er Troy. Bear this in mind; and when from sleep arous'd Let not my words from thy remembrance fade." This said, he vanish'd; and the monarch left, Inspir'd with thoughts which ne'er should come to pass. For in that day he vainly hop'd to take The town of Priam; ignorant what Jove Design'd in secret, or what woes, what groans, What lengthen'd labours in the stubborn fight, Were yet for Trojans and for Greeks in store. He woke from sleep; but o'er his senses spread Dwelt still the heavenly voice; he sat upright; He donn'd his vest of texture fine, new-wrought, Then o'er it threw his ample robe, and bound His sandals fair around his well-turn'd feet; And o'er his shoulders flung his sword, adorn'd With silver studs; and bearing in his hand His royal staff, ancestral, to the ships Where lay the brass-clad warriors, bent his way.

Aurora now was rising up the steep Of great Olympus, to th' immortal Gods Pure light diffusing; when Atrides bade The clear-voic'd heralds to th' Assembly call The gen'ral host; they gave the word, and straight From ev'ry quarter throng'd the eager crowd. But first, of all the Elders, by the side Of Nestor's ship, the aged Pylian chief, A secret conclave Agamemnon call'd; And, prudent, thus the chosen few address'd: "Hear me, my friends! In the still hours of night I saw a heav'nly Vision in my sleep: Most like it seemed in stature, form, and face To rev'rend Nestor; at my head it stood, And with these words address'd me--'Sleep'st thou, son Of Atreus, valiant warrior, horseman bold? To sleep all night but ill becomes a chief, Charg'd with the public weal, and cares of state. Hear now the words I bear: to thee I come A messenger from Jove, who from on high Looks down on thee with eyes of pitying love. He bids thee arm in haste the long-hair'd Greeks To combat: since the wide-built streets of Troy Thou now may'st capture; for th' immortal Gods Watch over her no longer: all are gain'd By Juno's pray'rs, and woes impend o'er Troy. Bear thou my words in mind.' Thus as he spoke He vanish'd; and sweet sleep forsook mine eyes. Seek we then straight to arm the sons of Greece: But first, as is our wont, myself will prove The spirit of the army; and suggest Their homeward voyage; ye, throughout the camp Restore their courage, and restrain from flight."

Thus having said, he sat; and next arose Nestor, the chief of Pylos' sandy shore. Who thus with prudent speech replied, and said: "O friends, the chiefs and councillors of Greece, If any other had this Vision seen, We should have deem'd it false, and laugh'd to scorn The idle tale; but now it hath appear'd, Of all our army, to the foremost man: Seek we then straight to arm the sons of Greece."