Chapter Three: Look Who's Home

They laid in a circle lost in their own thoughts, with the night sky shining brightly over them. They knew they're parents would come looking for them but their attraction to the calm quiet vibe of the hill only added unwillingness to leave.

Lia laid on her back twiddling a strand of grass between her fingers with a small smile on her face. Looking out the corner of her eye she could see Brandon taking quick glances at her before looking back into the sky. "Why are you looking at me like that?" She asked with a smirk.

Brandon looked at her and smiled. Lia felt like her heart would burst from her chest, she had started liking him since seventh grade, last year. He had never paid too close attention to her, at least not romantically, he looked at her as a close friend, or so she thought. If he was watching her so intensely now, maybe there was hope.

"I was just wondering," Brandon started. Lia's eyes widened with hope, and Brandon smirked again, "Why are you breathing so hard?" He said.

Christopher silently listening to their conversation looked over at Lia, at that moment when those words had escaped Brandon's lips, he saw the sparkle leave her eyes. A cloud had been cast over his friends face and her smile fell. Christopher felt a pang in his heart but he let it go.

He stood up and dusted himself off. "Its late enough, we should get home." He said. "Come on Lia, I'll walk you home." Christopher pulled Lia to her feet.

Brandon nodded and smiled, "Well, see you later Lia." He said before rising and running home.

Christopher and Lia walked side by side in an uncomfortable silence. Lia fidgeted with her braid in nervousness. The embarrassment was eating her up inside, she couldn't believe she thought Brandon was going to ask her out. Not only was she embarrassed, she also felt stupid.

Out of nowhere Christopher chuckled, Lia looked up at him with shock. A small smirk tugged at the edge of his lips yet he didn't care to explain. Lia frowned, "What are you laughing at?" She asked.

Christopher looked down into her beautiful grey eyes,and smiled, "You look like your dog died."

"Ugh, Christopher I'm so embarrassed." Lia covered her face nearly in tears. Christopher wrapped his arms tight around her and planted his chin on top of her head. Christopher knew Lia liked his brother, well she told him. He also knew it had crushed her when Brandon kind of sorta rejected her.

He laughed a little, "My brother's an idiot."

"But an irresistible one." Lia sighed.

"He'll be a fool not to come to his senses."Christopher said letting Lia go and instead holding her hand.

"Thanks, Christopher. You're a good friend."
***

Lia

I had finally gotten off my flight and landed in a town I formerly called home. I was immediately hit by the fresh smell of rural air.

I smiled, I was finally here after many years. I hated why I had to leave but my father couldn't bare the pain I was in. So, he decided to uproot me, and it worked, out of sight out of mind. Why did I come back, because of my aunt shes old and frail, and she needs my help.

I stepped into the taxi and rested my head against the window. "Where to miss?" He asked.

"O'Neill Convenient Store."

The drive lasted four hours before we pulled in front of my aunt's store. I paid the taxi driver, grabbed my luggage and walked into the store. The door chimed behind me and closed with a soft thud. It was to early for the store to open so it was deserted. The dusty wooden floors and the southern look of the place gave off a comforting timey look. I walked around in awe remembering the good times I spent here.