prologue

prologue

D E C E M B E R  2 4  2 0 0 0

i watched his pale face as his glass coffin sunk further in the ground as his eyes rested peacefully, shut.

such perfection anyone would want to obtain, gone. no longer existing in this world i live in.

"why is he sleeping, father?" i asked as tears brimmed the bottom of my eyes. i knew exactly well what has happened to my brother. i just didn't want to believe that he was gone.

"why am i left with the dumb one?" i heard him mumble.

that finally allowed the tears that has been threatening to fall since the start of my brother's funeral streak down my cheeks that was as pale as the corpse of my beloved brother.

"he's just hibernating. that's all." he smiled sadly as he gazed at my brother's coffin, no longer visible from where i was standing.

"but," i said. ready to lay out facts and such against his rather sarcastic remark, "humans don't hibernate."

"but your brother does." he said. finally allowing his tears to fall down from his eyes. "and he won't wake up. not now, not ever!" he added, which was rather surprising to hear his sudden outburst.

i couldn't tell if he was grieving over my brother, because he was his son then, and his son now, or because of the fact the perfect one disappeared from this family. more so like my mother.

"can't your stupid brain process such simple information! he's dead! the perfect one is dead!" he yelled, making more tears droop down my face.

"please don't say that.." his secretary pleaded as she reasoned out with him, trying to tell him that i was no less than a kid who has yet to discover the world around him.

i whimpered, scared of my father's aggressive state. it was terrifying to witness as he took out his anger on his surroundings, flipping anything he could flip.

"cry all you want! that won't bring the perfection i once had back!" he yelled, gripping my wrist tightly upon hearing my cowardly whimpers.

"after all, you did nothing but add more problems to this family!" he adde, his voice louder than ever.

this wasn't the man i spent all those years growing up with.

the man i proudly called as father would never yell at his own son. even such imperfect creature like me.

"cram that in your small fucking brain!" he yelled before storming off, the secretary that once defended me trailing behind him.

i just stood there as more tears fell from my eyes, staining my cheeks as i gripped onto the hem of my shirt tightly, feeling numerous emotions stir within me.

why do i have to be imperfect?

D E C E M B E R  2 4  2 0 1 7

"Joyce?" I called out, peering my head inside a dim room, the light bulb that once hung properly on the ceiling now dangling by a few wires.

I could faintly see a head popping out of a stall conveniently placed in the corner, as barely shone from the computer. "Yes?"

"Why is my fan not working?"

I could hear her groan. Probably in annoyance since she had to deal with my stupid questions on a daily basis. She stood up from the chair she once sat on as she made her way towards me.

"Is my fan broken?" I asked as she followed me into the office, which was no different from the room she had worked with: poorly lighted.

She took a look at the little fan that stood taller than the pens that lied down on the desk. "You didn't press any buttons, sir."

"Ah! Most probable." I pressed the number three, and still, no air flew out from the tiny fan.

"Is your fan broken, sir?"

I shrugged, unsure of what I could possibly answer. "Last time I checked an annoyingly long wire stood out from behind."

She spun the fan around, taking a look at wherever the wire could have been. "And where is the wire now?"

"As I've said, it was annoyingly long. So I cut them off. Ever since then my fan wouldn't work. I can't work properly in this heat, you know." I replied, fanning myself impatiently with my own bare hands.

"That's the problem, sir." She frustratedly ruffled her hair.

"Was the wire needed..?" I asked. I wasn't aware if the wire was of importance to me or not, since all it did was trip me up.

"No. I don't think the wire was important. I just agreed with your opinion. Ts'all"

In which two surprisingly dumb people struggle to keep the once successful company reclaim it's title after the loss of many employees, will they achieve their goal or end up burying themselves six feet under?