BOOK 17

ARGUMENT.

Telemachus returning to the city, relates to Penelope the sum of his travels. Ulysses is conducted by Eumaeus to the palace, where his old dog Argus acknowledges his master, after an absence of twenty years, and dies with joy. Eumaeus returns into the country, and Ulysses remains among the suitors, whose behaviour is described.

Soon as Aurora, daughter of the dawn, Sprinkled with roseate light the dewy lawn, In haste the prince arose, prepared to part; His hand impatient grasps the pointed dart; Fair on his feet the polish'd sandals shine, And thus he greets the master of the swine:

"My friend, adieu! let this short stay suffice; I haste to meet my mother's longing eyes, And end her tears, her sorrows and her sighs. But thou, attentive, what we order heed: This hapless stranger to the city lead: By public bounty let him there be fed, And bless the hand that stretches forth the bread. To wipe the tears from all afflicted eyes, My will may covet, but my power denies. If this raise anger in the stranger's thought, The pain of anger punishes the fault: The very truth I undisguised declare; For what so easy as to be sincere?"

To this Ulysses: "What the prince requires Of swift removal, seconds my desires. To want like mine the peopled town can yield More hopes of comfort than the lonely field: Nor fits my age to till the labour'd lands, Or stoop to tasks a rural lord demands. Adieu! but since this ragged garb can bear So ill the inclemencies of morning air, A few hours' space permit me here to stay: My steps Eumaeus shall to town convey, With riper beams when Phoebus warms the day."

Thus he: nor aught Telemachus replied, But left the mansion with a lofty stride: Schemes of revenge his pondering breast elate, Revolving deep the suitors' sudden fate, Arriving now before the imperial hall, He props his spear against the pillar'd wall; Then like a lion o'er the threshold bounds; The marble pavement with his steps resounds: His eye first glanced where Euryclea spreads With furry spoils of beasts the splendid beds: She saw, she wept, she ran with eager pace, And reach'd her master with a long embrace. All crowded round, the family appears With wild entrancement, and ecstatic tears. Swift from above descends the royal fair (Her beauteous cheeks the blush of Venus wear, Chasten'd with coy Diana's pensive air); Hangs o'er her son, in his embraces dies; Rains kisses on his neck, his face, his eyes: Few words she spoke, though much she had to say; And scarce those few, for tears, could force their way.

"Light of my eyes: he comes! unhoped-for joy! Has Heaven from Pylos brought my lovely boy? So snatch'd from all our cares!--Tell, hast thou known Thy father's fate, and tell me all thy own."

"Oh dearest! most revered of womankind! Cease with those tears to melt a manly mind (Replied the prince); nor be our fates deplored, From death and treason to thy arms restored. Go bathe, and robed in white ascend the towers; With all thy handmaids thank the immortal powers; To every god vow hecatombs to bleed. And call Jove's vengeance on their guilty deed. While to the assembled council I repair: A stranger sent by Heaven attends me there; My new accepted guest I haste to find, Now to Peiraeus' honour'd charge consign'd."

The matron heard, nor was his word in vain. She bathed; and, robed in white, with all her train, To every god vow'd hecatombs to bleed, And call'd Jove's vengeance on the guilty deed, Arm'd with his lance, the prince then pass'd the gate, Two dogs behind, a faithful guard, await; Pallas his form with grace divine improves: The gazing crowd admires him as he moves. Him, gathering round, the haughty suitors greet With semblance fair, but inward deep deceit, Their false addresses, generous, he denied. Pass'd on, and sate by faithful Mentor's side; With Antiphus, and Halitherses sage (His father's counsellors, revered for age). Of his own fortunes, and Ulysses' fame, Much ask'd the seniors; till Peiraeus came. The stranger-guest pursued him close behind; Whom when Telemachus beheld, he join'd. He (when Peiraeus ask'd for slaves to bring The gifts and treasures of the Spartan king) Thus thoughtful answer'd: "Those we shall not move, Dark and unconscious of the will of Jove; We know not yet the full event of all: Stabb'd in his palace if your prince must fall, Us, and our house, if treason must o'erthrow, Better a friend possess them than a foe; If death to these, and vengeance Heaven decree, Riches are welcome then, not else, to me. Till then retain the gifts."--The hero said, And in his hand the willing stranger led. Then disarray'd, the shining bath they sought (With unguents smooth) of polish'd marble wrought: Obedient handmaids with assistant toil Supply the limpid wave, and fragrant oil: Then o'er their limbs refulgent robes they threw, And fresh from bathing to their seats withdrew. The golden ewer a nymph attendant brings, Replenish'd from the pure translucent springs; With copious streams that golden ewer supplies A silver layer of capacious size. They wash: the table, in fair order spread, Is piled with viands and the strength of bread. Full opposite, before the folding gate, The pensive mother sits in humble state; Lowly she sate, and with dejected view The fleecy threads her ivory fingers drew. The prince and stranger shared the genial feast, Till now the rage of thirst and hunger ceased.