Chapter 6: Part 1

"You should come," said Tsukishima.

"Yes, you should totally come!" added Yamaguchi. "It's going to be so much fun. Besides, everyone will be happy to see you again."

"Sure, I'd love to," you responded.

[Time skip to Sugawara's birthday party]

You walked into the sports hall. Spiral streamers hung from the ceiling, balloons of different colours and sizes filled every corner, and rainbow confetti covered every conceivable surface. All the Karasuno girls' and boys' volleyball team members were present, standing around, talking, and laughing.

Your eyes nervously searched for Tsukishima. He was leaning against the far wall, arms folded, one ankle crossed over the other. You didn't have to worry about getting his attention from the other side of the hall - he was already looking right at you. He gave you a warm smile. It was a smile that not only looked good on him, but also a smile that instantly put you at ease because it was a smile that was reserved only for you. With a spring in your step, you started walking towards him.

"[Your l/n]-chan!" shouted Nishinoya and Tanaka, jumping in front of you. You stopped in your tracks.

"Noya-san, Tanaka-san, it's good to see you both again."

"Wow, you look so pretty tonight!" exclaimed Nishinoya.

"As always!" Tanaka added excitedly.

"Thank you," you said shyly.

They continued to shower you with compliments, but you weren't really paying attention. All you wanted to do was spend the evening with your favourite person in the room. You kept giving Tsukishima sidelong glances, hoping another girl hadn't taken your place by his side. After all, he did look strikingly handsome tonight; his black flannel shirt and black ripped-knee jeans both fitting him in all the right places...

Nishinoya and Tanaka's attention finally diverted away from you - and your own thoughts finally diverted away from Tsukishima - when Daichi walked in carrying a cake, singing happy birthday.

[After the cake-cutting]

"Thank you so much for all the birthday wishes," started Sugawara. "I'm so glad all of you could come today. And Daichi, a special thank you to you for putting all of this together. You make me so very happy, and I am so lucky to call you mine."

"You're welcome Suga," he replied lovingly.

Daichi then nodded at Asahi, and soft music started playing from the CD player. He took Sugawara in his arms and began dancing. You couldn't stop smiling at them. They were soon followed by Yamaguchi and Yachi. You flashed him a grin and gave him a thumbs-up, causing him to look away in embarrassment. Meanwhile, Nishinoya and Tanaka were busy prancing around Kiyoko which made you giggle out loud.

You looked over at Tsukishima. He was now glaring at Hinata who had knocked into him whilst tossing balloons to Kageyama. "Aren't you going to ask me to dance with you, you idiot?" you muttered to yourself. However, as soon as his eyes met yours, he clenched his jaw and turned away. Feeling a mixture of sadness, confusion and frustration, you turned around to get yourself a drink, but as you did so, you bumped into a rather handsome, dark-haired wing spiker.

"Oh, I'm so sorry Ennoshita-san."

"Don't worry about it," he said, rubbing the back of his neck. "I was just coming over to ask you if, um... would you maybe like to dance with me?"

"Yes, of course", you replied.

Tsukishima's eyes burned into you as Ennoshita placed one hand on your waist and delicately held your other hand with his.

"Are you having a good time?" asked Ennoshita.

"Yes, it's been wonderful seeing everyone again."

"I hope Noya and Tanaka weren't bothering you too much."

"No, not at all. They were both as excitable as ever."

"Well, that's one way of describing them," he laughed.

"Daichi-san and Suga-san are just so perfect together don't you think?"

"Yes, two best friends in love," he answered cheerily. "I think we'd all be lucky to have a love like theirs."

"Mmhmm," you said, trying to smile.

"Our Tsukishima hasn't been able to take his eyes off you."

"Oh right," you said dejectedly, looking down at your feet.

"I'm sorry. Did I say something wrong?"

"No, it's okay... Ennoshita-san, would you please excuse me?"

"Yes, sure. Um, please let me know if you need anything."

"Thank you."

Ennoshita's words had made your heart sink. 'If he can't take his eyes off me then why hasn't he just come up to me?' you thought to yourself. You took a deep breath and decided to approach Tsukishima first, but he was now talking to another girl. Feeling stupid for expecting something more from him - after all, you still hadn't confessed your true feelings, nor did he seem to think of you as more than just a friend - you headed for the door.

"[Your l/n]-san! Where are you going?" you heard a familiar voice coming from behind you.

"Something's come up, Yamaguchi-kun. Please convey my apologies to Ennoshita-san."

"But Tsukki-"

"-What about him?" you cut him off sharply. "He hasn't spoken to me all evening. Why did he invite me here if he wasn't going to talk to me? It's not fair. Apart from the two of you, I don't really know anyone else here." You paused for a moment before continuing, "But the others have still made more of an effort with me than he has. I'm sorry, I have to get going."

As you walked away, Yamaguchi stormed over towards Tsukishima and pulled him aside.

"What the hell Yamaguchi?!"

"You should be the one going after her, not me."

"What are you on about?"

"Why didn't you speak to her Tsukki?"

"She was too busy having a good time."

"It bothers you that she was having a good time?"

"It bothers me that she was having a good time without me."

"You're jealous?"

Tsukishima didn't say anything in response.

"Oh, come on Tsukki. Her eyes have always given away how she feels about you. And any idiot could tell she only wanted to spend time with you tonight. Besides, you could have just gone up to her yourself, but you didn't, because you're as stubborn as they come."

"Whatever."

"I really like her, you know. Usually girls only talk to me when they want to find out more about you. But she's really made an effort to get to know me, and I'm glad to call her my friend. Plus, she's the only girl who has accepted you for who you are, you difficult human. Now it's your turn to make an effort with her, so please, go after her already."