Chapter 2: The Slide Is A Story Book

I kept walking in the direction that my feet went. A part of me wanted to stop, and go back home, but that would be a sign of weakness. I am tired of being weak.

Soon, I saw a slide. It was empty. No laughing children were sliding down its body, no happy parents watching, hoping that they don't have to take their children to the emergency room. Empty. It seemed like it was calling me right over.

I walked torwards the slide, as if in a trance. My feet worked their way up the cold metal rungs of the ladder, followed by my hands. I had no choice but to folow.

Up I went. My fingers grasped the hard metal. It seemed like this ladder had an infite number of rungs. At last, I reached the top. My fingers grabbed onto the floor and I pulled my legs up. First my right leg, then my left.

Just as my left foot reached the floor, I heard my name.

"Aurora. Where are you?" It was grandpa.

I froze. I did not want to be caught just yet, and as I said before, I usually get what I want.

"Henry! Come inside!" Grandma yelled.

Her voice sent a pang of guilt through me. I was going to be the cause of even more wrinkles on their faces. Grandma and Grandpa were the two most wrinkled people that I had ever seen. They each look like prunes. No lie.

Uncle Isaac said that worrying causes wrinkles, so I think that they either worry a lot or have really crinkled genes. Probably not the latter.

Once the prune had left the park, I focused on the slide. I bent my neck downwards so that i could see the rest of the play structure.

There were monkey bars, a jungle gym, a smaller side, and a swingset. The whole park looked really lonely. It seemed useless without any children there, enjoying the sun and the exitment of seeing the clouds as you got up in the swing.

The swingset looked especially lonely without any kids on it.

In my mind, swing sets had to have at least one person on them, otherwise they looked like ghosts belonged there. Especially in broad daylight, this empty park gave me a bad feeling. It didn't help that it was Sunday. I thought little kids loved parks on sunny weekends. Apparently not this park.

I inched my way over to the slide and pushed off of the floor. My body flew down the slide, then abruptly stopped as I reached the bottom.

I smiled. I missed being a little kid. I missed going down slides and living without a care in the world. When nobody cared if you couldn't do anything, or had no friends, because, when I was little, everyone liked everyone. There were no dislikes.

The second I went to middle school, that changed.

Luckily, I am almost done with eight grade, then high school, then college. By college, I'll be allowed to go anywhere. Outside, in the basement, to Paris, if I want. Anywhere.

I cannot wait.

I sat at the bottom of the slide. It was a tube slide, and there was writing all over the inside of the tube. I laid back, so my head was resting on the blue plastic of the slide.

The first graffiti that caught my eye was a large heart with "S.W + A.E" inside of it. Below that was a drawing of a cloud with the words "Flight" in it. To the left of that was the city's logo, a horse shoe. It had some unrecognizable words written over it. To the left of that was the numbers "2006" and several names below. I think that the 2006 stood for the year, and it must've been old because it was already 2014.

It seemed like every letter, picture, number, and word had a story.

A sudden urge came over me to write something on this slide. To add my story to this story book. I wanted someone to read it someday. If I haven't said enough, I get what I want.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a pen.

I climbed out of the slide.

"I'll do it tomorrow." I whispered to myself.

Somehow, it seemed better to say it out loud than to just think it, so that is what I did.

I walked towards the monkey bars, and grabbed ahold of one rung. My feet were still touching the ground. It looked like I was too big for the monkey bars.

I didn't want to give up, though. I pulled my knees up to my chest, and used my other hand to grab the rung in front of me. I kept doing so until I reached the end of the monkey bars.

I smiled, and let my legs fall, while holding the last rung. My feet landed on the ground and I let go of the bar.

I ducked below the mess of bars walked over to the swings. My feet seemed to by moving themselves. They led me to the seat on the left. I sat down on it. The metal was cold. Whatever.

I slowly began to swing my legs back and forth. The swing rocked back and forth, each time going a little bit higher.

My legs continued pumping. Soon, I was swinging. I was actually swinging, in broad daylight, when someone from school might see me! It was amazing!

A wave of pride washed over me. I was doing something, and not caring what my friends thought.

I suddenly stopped swinging.

I forgot. I don't have any friends.

The swing slowed down, as I sat silently. I was sure that my mouth was an upside-down U.

I jumped off of the slow moving swing. This time, I walked away from the lonely swing set, and the too short monkey bars, and the storybook slide. I just left. I was walking towards nothing. Well, not nothing. The world was round, so everyone was always walking towards something. I, though, was not walking towards anything in particular.