Stay A While

It had to be a dream.

There was no other explanation. No other answer to how somebody could look so angelic. Sitting on the back row of the wedding, the young writer looked at the sister of the bride. Under the beautiful, blue sky, she was the definition of perfection as she stood beside the bride at the outdoor altar.

Every strand of her long brown hair was flawless. Her eggshell white dress was a perfect match for her fair skin and slender figure. Her pretty face shined with a beauty. With happiness. With innocence.

With love.

The shy man could not take his eyes off of her. She was no more than a year younger than he. As the ceremony went along, he kept his gaze on her. As the bride and groom said their vows and looked into each other’s eyes so lovingly, he imagined himself doing the same with her.

The ceremony went by in a summer’s haze. Just as quickly as it had started, it ended. As the bride and groom went down the aisle hand-in-hand, they received a standing ovation. Within moments, they were out of sight and everyone rose to leave.

The man looked over at the angelic girl who was surrounded by people. She was so graceful. So elegant. So perfect.

A number of the people surrounding her were young men. Even from this distance, the man could see that they were attempting to flirt with the pretty gal. His heart filled with anger at the sight, but he did nothing. After all, what could he do? She was not his nor was he hers.

He turned around. What chance did he have against men like those to win her heart? He had seen enough heartbreak to know better than to try. With a heavy heart, he began to make his quiet exit. His quiet retreat.

Only a few feet from the sidewalk, he stopped. He sensed something fall onto his shoulder. Something that he only ever felt in his dreams.

A soft hand.

Turning around, he came face-to-face with the girl. She looked at him with her pretty smile. It was prettier than it had been when she was surrounded by that crowd. She looked into his eyes with an expression that melted his heart.

“Are you leaving so soon?”

Her voice was perfect. He could not believe what she was saying. He could not believe the way she was smiling at him. He could not believe that it was not a dream. “…u—uh…y—yes.”

She slightly tilted her head to the side. “I don’t suppose I could convince you  to stay a while?”

Her smile was something different. Something he had never seen before. Something that told him everything that the future held. Something that told him how their story would end.

After a few moments, a slight smile came to his face. “I think you could.”

About the Author

Ammar Habib is a bestselling and award winning author who was born in Lake Jackson, Texas in 1993. Ammar enjoys crafting stories that are not only entertaining, but will also stay with the reader for a long time. Ammar presently resides in his hometown with his family, all of whom are his biggest fans. He draws his inspiration from his family, imagination, and the world around him.

To learn more about Ammar, please visit:

www.ammarahsenhabib.com