Chapter 27: In the Dark

We just needed about five minutes to enter the house through a broken wall.

"Hey, look. Shoreline blocked the door for us.", Nathan pointed to a huge pile of furniture in front of the door.

"Looks like they forgot, that we're smart enough to find another entrance.", I chuckled.

Nathan nodded. "And that they are leaving muddy footprints on the carpet."

The footprints lead us to a door, but unfortunately it was blocked from the other side. We tried to push it open, but suddenly we were shot at.

"Shit. Shoreline!", I screamed and pushed Nathan and Elena behind a pillar. I ran over to another one to take cover, but I was too slow and one of the bullets scratched my neck. Nathan saw the blood and screamed my name.

"It's okay. It's just a graze.", I yelled back from behind the pillar and started shooting at the mercenaries. Elena did her best, but soon ran out of ammo and hid behind the balustrade of the gallery, we were standing on. Suddenly one of the Shoreliners threw a grenade at me, so I had to move away. I ran over to Nate and pulled him away from the explosion.

"Thanks.", he panted.

"No problem.", I answered and shot the man, who had thrown the grenade. Suddenly there was an explosion behind me. I turned around and saw a mercenary flying away due to the shock wave.

"You're welcome, Jo.", I heard Elena shout from her hiding spot.

Jesus, where did she find a grenade launcher?

"Thank you!"

We killed the rest of the Shoreliners and after the last one was dead, Nathan immediately came over to me.

"Are you okay? Let me see the graze."

I sighed and put my hair behind my shoulder, so he could see the wound.

"See? It's nothing.", I told him, but he pulled out a tissue and softly dabbed the blood from it. His hand was gentle and didn't press too hard, while his other hand was holding against my cheek. Some how I had to admit, that I enjoyed the touch of his hands. I looked up and our eyes met. His blue ones and my brown ones. His fingers stroke above my scar and put a strand of my hair behind my ear.

"Hey, guys, ... ah sorry.", Elena interrupted us, but realised, that we were having a moment and tried to back away. Nathan and I quickly pulled away.

"My wound doesn't hurt so bad, so it's okay.", I blushed.

I guess, I could be the fierce warrior being able to fight and so, but as soon as Nathan looked at me this way, I turned into a fifteen year old girl, newly in love and with her head in the clouds. How was is possible for him to make me feel this way?

"Okay, then ... eh let's go.", Nathan headed towards the door and Elena and me followed. Elena gave me a look, that said: sorry for interrupting you, but I just shrugged.

We opened the door and found another letter. It was signed by Avery. Apparently Avery and Tew turned against each other and Avery moved the treasure to his ship. Nathan put it in his journal and we opened another door, revealing a hall.

"Huh. No more footprints. Where did they go?", I wondered.

"Hey, look. Sam's lighter.", Nathan picked it up.

"Did he drop it?", Elena asked.

"Yeah, on purpose.", Nathan replied, while looking around.

"So that means, whatever we are looking for, has to be somewhere around here.", I figured.