10 - Jonathon

Jonathon

I pull my earbuds out of my ears as the girl standing by Mrs. Summers's desk raises her violin and presses her bow against the strings. Any distraction is better than studying for Chemistry. 

I lean back in the comfortable library chair and pull my sweatshirt sleeves over my hands, textbooks and pens sprawled across the desk in front of me. The girl begins to play; she has blonde hair and bangs, and is wearing a black rain jacket.

Someone else is standing behind her; the blind girl that I've seen before. She has freckles splattered across her dark skin and a white cane in her hand. 

The music starts out rich and fluttery, floating and lofty, and the blonde girl's arm swings as the bow slides across the violin. Her eyes are closed, and the violin seems to glow in the warm light of the library.

I can't say that I've listened to a lot of classical music. But the piece starts to get faster, the notes higher, and something squeezes in my heart. The song has a more urgent feel, almost like it's pleading for something... I don't know.

Listening to this girl play, maybe a couple years younger than me, I don't even remember about the schoolwork and exams I've been stressing about all day. It's like all of the library's focus is on her.