For Every Action

By the time Ayame woke, Rin and Amaimon had arrived in Asaiah and were waiting for her to recover enough to tell them what happened.  As Ayame regained consciousness, the horrific events came flooding back to her and tears gathered in her eyes.  Rin offered her a cup of tea that she gratefully accepted, sipping on it and allowing the brew to calm her nerves.

"Ayame, could you please tell us what happened?  I don't want to push you, but we need to know what happened to the rest of your clan." Rin calmly stated as he looked the young girl in the eyes.

"We were performing the renewal ritual in our sacred clearing.  Everything was going really well, and I was even chosen to be the maiden this year.  Just as we were about to accept the old stag's sacrifice, Exorcists burst into the clearing and began shooting and killing.  Mother grabbed me and began to run, but one of them was following closely behind.  When I tripped, the Exorcist took the opportunity to stab mother and kill her.  Her corpse turned into leaves that then fell over me.  I remained silent and still until I eventually fell asleep.  I think this is what saved me.  When I woke, it was morning again and the forest was silent except for the usual sounds of nature.  After waiting a little longer, I finally got up and started running.  Mother had gifted me with a bracelet that would take me to safety, and I followed it here.  Unfortunately, an Exorcist found me before Samael, I mean Mephisto, was able to.  I thought he was going to kill me and finish the job that had been started the previous night.  Next thing I know, I woke up here." Ayame managed to fight back her tears and panic as she told her tale.

"Thank you for telling us that, Ayame.  Now, before we take you home, there is one more thing you might be able to help us with.  Do you know what any of the Exorcists looked like?"

"The only one I saw clearly was the one who killed my mother.  He had long blond hair, wore white, and carried a big sword. Does that help you at all?" Ayame noticed the angry looks that Rin, Amaimon, and Mephisto now wore.  It was obvious that the description did mean something to them and they were not happy about it.

"That conniving, murderous little toe-rag!" Mephisto was the first to say what all three demon brothers were thinking.

"Mephisto, you will need to inform the Vatican of what has occurred.  Amaimon and I will take Ayame back to Gehenna and her people.  We will need to inform all three rulers about what has happened, and then decide on our course of action for the blatant breaking of the treaty and the slaughter of our people.  Once we know what the leaders want to do, we will return and speak with the Vatican." Rin was planning out their immediate course of action and coming up with various solutions to the problem he could see before them.  Meanwhile, Ayame had managed to take a few bites of the food that had been given to her before falling back into another exhausted, but far more restful slumber.

Once preparations had been made and plans had been set, Rin gently woke Ayame and carried her to their passage home.  He and Amaimon exchanged a worried glance as they left Asaiah, knowing that there was a high possibility the next time the came here they would officially be at war with those who broke the treaty and any who decided to stand with them.  The time of peace was over, but Gehenna had been preparing for a war for years, and its people would not back down from the blatant challenge they now faced.