prologue

"he'll be gone for days and when he comes home-" she stopped as more tears ran down her cheeks. "he'll be all beat up, but he just shuts me out!" she began to sob, squeezing her husbands hand.

outside of the room, sat a teenager. he rolled his chestnut brown eyes as he listened to his mother's muffled cries. he was biting the insides of his lips, a nervous habit.

the door opened next to him, and out came a disappointed father and crying mother. neither parent looked at him.

"tyler? please, come in."

sweat trickled down his forehead as he put away his drumsticks. he noticed his sister, ashley, standing in the doorway. she had her arms crossed, he didn't know how long she was there, he gets so lost in the music.

"josh, did they tell you yet..?" she asked, entering his room and taking a seat on his bed that wasn't too far from the door.

"i know they're getting divorced. it's pretty obvious after what happened last night." josh replied. ashley grinned. "no, well yeah they are but they've decided to buy separate houses." she said.

josh furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. "how'd they get all the money to do that?" he asked. "well moms going back to nana's house, which makes sense considering our grandparents are super wealthy-"

"that's in columbus." josh cut her off. "yeah i know, dad found a house for rent as well. we're going back to our hometown." she said. "i thought you would be excited, you get to see tyler again. it's been like what? almost 4 years?"

josh swallowed hard as he looked down at the carpet. "shit" he sighed.

:) here's a lil something to start off with