1

"what about us?" josh asked, trying his best to not freak out. after leaving ohio it took a lot for him to forget about it all, his best friend. this surprise trip back was not something he was ready for. on top of that, his anxiety is through the roof with his parents splitting apart.

"what do you mean?" his mother asked. "us, the kids. what are we gonna do? you have 4 kids, does abby even know?" questions rushed through his head. it was all too much.

"joshua calm down, we will tell the younger ones when the time comes. visitation still had to be planned out but i promise you it will all be fine in the end." she said calmly.

josh knocked his head back as he sighed heavily, looking up at the creme colored ceiling. he glanced over at a picture frame on the fire place, a professional photo done of the family back when abby was just a baby.

"what happened?" he asked. both parents sat in silence. "what happened with us?" his mother asked. "no what happened to the fire place. obviously what happened to you guys! you were fine like last month."

"quit it with the attitude." his father said roughly. "it's about time you said something dad." josh shot back. it was obvious he was angry and before anything got worse, josh simply stood up, leaving the table.

"where are you going?" his mother asked. "out." josh said as he grabbed a sweatshirt and left through the front door.

the cold air made his face feel better, after getting so heated up. he got into his car and started it up, he played music loudly before pulling out of the driveway.

ashley watched from a window, turning towards her parents with a slight grin. "he's not happy about this." she said.

"you would think the 17 year old would be the most accepting one, but he's taking it harder than you." her mother pinched the bridge of her nose. "i don't think it's about you guys splitting up." her mother looked up in confusion. "i think it's about moving back to ohio."

"well why would he not like that? he loved ohio and all his friends are there." her mother said. "i think something happened between tyler and him." ashley replied.

"joseph? why that boy was the sweetest. the two were like brothers."

tyler rang the door bell and took a step back, waiting for the door to open.

"hey tyler, mel's home but i think she just got into the shower." her mother opened the door, pleased to see the boy.

"hi camila. that's fine, i can just wait. i have a lot to talk about." he said. "alright." she said as she opened the door wider. the boy took a step in, taking his worn out converse off at the door before walking inside. he basically lives at the martinez household. melanie and him have been best friends since, well since josh left. they were still friends before just not as hardcore.

he walked into her room and knocked a special rhythm on her bathroom door, letting her know he was there. the two made up a knocking rhythm for scenarios like this, or when they sneak out at night.

the loud music from the bathroom slowly turned down. "hey ty!" she called out. "sup!" tyler called back before falling back onto her bed, exhaling sharply.

melanie quickly finished and walked out of the steamy bathroom with a dark purple towel wrapped around her small body.

"you okay?" she asked, noticing that tyler looked a little out of it. tyler pulled out his phone and started flipping through his instagram feed. "i guess." he replied flatly.

melanie opened her closet doors and reached up for some random comfy clothes. "what happened?" she asked, slipping a large hoodie over her head. tyler sighed before locking his phone and tossing it to the side.

"my mother got me a therapist." he said. melanie froze as she turned around slowly, trying not to laugh. "oh fuck off." tyler said as he whipped a pillow at her.

melanie squeaked as the pillow hit her. she buttoned her black jean shorts and walked over to him, throwing the pillow on him as she climbed onto her bed herself.

"okay but seriously, why?" she asked, drying her hair with her towel. "my mother's concerned cause i'm never home and she thinks that i'm out doing drugs and just stupid shit like that." tyler replied. melanie raised and eyebrow as she flipped her curly hair off her shoulder. "well she's not wrong." she giggled.

"shut up! i-" tyler was interrupted by his phone going off. he looked at it and rolled his eyes. "speak of the devil." he said. "what's she saying now?" melanie asked, scooting over to him.

tyler's brown eyes scanned the screen and slowly got wider as he dropped his phone and stood up. "fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck." he rubbed his temples as he paced in her room. melanie lifted up the phone and read the text.

hey ty, thought i'd just let you know that the dun family is coming back to town! you and josh can hang just like old times. hope you're excited as i am, stay safe. love you <3

--------
okay y'all band camp just like blew up and tysm for all the feedback :))!