Fifteen

~ (y/n)'s P.O.V. ~

I groaned, pushing myself up as I woke, making Newt stir underneath me. I looked around, noticing Tommy was gone. My eyebrows furrowed as I stared at his empty bed, trying to compute what to do. I came to the decision to shake Newt awake so we could look for Tommy when Tommy's harsh whisper outside the tent stopped me. 

"I can't believe you! I trusted you." Tommy sounded broken up, as if he was about to cry. 

"Tom listen-" Teresa's voice was soft, gentle, like it had been back in the Maze.

"Just leave me alone, Teresa. I need time to think." I turned as the vine curtain opened. For a moment I could see the sky, the sun just beginning to rise, then Tommy appeared. 

"Tommy-" He shook his head, not looking at me. 

"Please don't ask me about it." I swallowed, nodding slowly as I moved over to give Tommy space to get back to his bed. Newt stirred against me as I settled back down against his chest. His grip tightened on me for a moment and I looked up at him, twirling some of his hair of my fingers like I used to when I woke up with him in the Maze. I knew I wouldn't be falling back to sleep. 

~

Around an hour later, everyone was awake and ready to leave. The tents were left up, but many of Group A, Group B, and what was left of Jorge's men was carrying food, water, and medical supplies. The same girl who gave the speech yesterday stood on a stump.

"Okay, everyone. The Safe Haven we need to be at is right on top of that hill-slash-mountain. I assume the journey will take us until sundown, right before our time is up. We have to stay together. Now that our group is a bigger size, it will be more difficult to keep the count of our numbers, but we will try our best." I glanced at Teresa. She was farther away from us, and her tough, cold look had dwindled and a sad, guilty look had taken place. I watched her glance at Tommy, just for a second, then she looked back at the girl speaking. I looked back too as she continued. 

"Our initial meeting yesterday was... rough, but we are a team now, and as a team we need to stick together and stand up for one another. No fighting with each other, at least not until we are to safety. We have barely any time left and it does not need to be wasted on arguing. We will take breaks for food and water at least twice and the safe place will be a third." She looked around. "Now who's with me?!" I smiled as everyone cheered, raising their hands. I cheered too, smiling as I looked up at Newt.

~

I stared up at where we had to climb, gulping. I think the speech undermined exactly how difficult this would be for us. Whatever this is, it definitely was not a hill. If it is, it is one steep hill. I felt guilt sit with me as Newt began to climb, already struggling as we continued forward because of his limp. 

I clenched on tight to Newt as his foot slid, almost falling the fourth time. Tommy and Delilah caught him, pushing him back up. When Newt was stable, Tommy came to take me from Newt's arms as others passed us. 

"Tommy, I'm fine-" Tommy shook his head.  

"You're obviously beginning to struggle a little bit. Just rest your body. You've been nonstop carrying her for days. I can help." Newt sighed, but nodded as we continued on. I looked forward, watching the group members that had passed us and my eyes widened as I noticed Aris was up front. "Holy shuck... is that Aris?" I asked and Newt looked at me confused, then looked forward, trying to see where I was looking. 

"What? Where?" I pointed to where Aris was. He turned, talking to the red headed girl with a smile.

"Yeah, it is." Tommy's voice was a whisper and I looked to him. He sounded a little on edge and angry, but I knew it wasn't with me. I frowned in concern and Tommy shifted me, mistaking my concern for being upset. "I'm sorry. It's just been a really messed up morning." His voice shook. I nodded, trying to give him a smile. 

"I know. You don't have to be sorry, I promise." Tommy didn't say anything, he just looked forward and kept walking. 

~

Our first break was brief, just enough time for each of us to eat some berries and split bread, chewing the meal as if it might be our last. We left the break as quickly as we started it, knowing there was no time to waste. We had to get to the Safe Haven on time, not only for ourselves, but for the people we loved as well, our groups, our family. 

While we walked, up front there came a cackling laugh from one of the girls. I frowned, feeling dread set in as I stared at the girl who laughed. The laugh was similar to one of the Cranks that was at the party we escaped yesterday. The girl dragged a hand through her short, dark hair, laughing again. The girl next to her turned to her, saying something, holding out a canteen. The girl with brown hair laughed, then slapped the canteen, lunging at the girl who had offered it to her. She leaned down, biting the other girl's neck and I cried out, feeling a heavy weight settle over me. Newt came to Tommy's side, gripping at me. A small tug pulled me to him, and as if Tommy felt the tug, I was passed off to Newt. I clung to him. I watched as the girl looked up, laughing as blood trailed down her neck and onto her clothes. I barely registered Tommy running to her, pulling a small knife attached to his back. 

"Tommy! No!" He raised the blade, running and ready to bury the knife into her spine. At last moment, she turned, tackling at his legs. They both rolled, but she ended up on top, holding the knife above him. 

"That's not a very nice thing to do. Not at all." She giggled, raising the knife, but before she could bring it down, an arrow flew, hitting her in the chest. The knife fell and the girl choked, grabbing at the arrow, then she fell to the side. Tommy gently moved her off of him, staring at the two bodies with wide eyes as he stood. I looked to see Alby's sister was the one that shot the arrow, a look of pain crossing her face as she turned away. Many others stared for a moment, looking at the two friends they had just lost, then they moved on too. Newt carried me towards Tommy, who was the last one still staring. 

"Come on, Tommy, we have to go. We're running out of time." Tommy nodded, bending to pick up his knife, putting it back where he pulled it from. He moved in front of Newt and I. I looked back as Newt moved forward, taking in the two girls as we moved farther away until they were out of my sight. 

Original Publish Date: August 13, 2017