Chapter Twenty Two

< Things spoken in Korean will be in italics >

Today was the day. The day NCT 127 was going to debut. The day Donghyuck had been looking forward to yet dreading all at the same time.

You sat with your back pressed against the cold wall backstage of M Countdown accompanied by the restless staff. Making sure to keep your distance from the boys, you were sure not to get in their way or be a distraction while they got ready.

Some members were in various places just going over choreography or lyrics to themselves. Others, like Donghyuck, sat in a chair in front of the miror allowing themselves to be fixed up by their stylists.

After watching closely for a bit, Donghyuck kept sweating from nervousness and overthinking causing the stylist to have to come back over and correct his makeup.

You stood up slowly using the wall for support, tired or sitting around for so long. "Having fun?" Somone comes up next to you, resting against the same wall. Turning to face Sooman, you smile seeing it was him.

"Were they like this when NCT U debuted?" you question seeing bodies bustling around left and right.

SM thought for a moment, then laughed slightly to himself. "Worse." There was a subtle pause between you both as you watched everyone at work. "I've never seen Donghyuck this way before."

"He was really upset the other day." You admit. "Would I be allowed to go over and talk to him?" you ask with precaution, not knowing if you'd be allowed to or not.

But seeing the way SM's face lit up at the idea, you felt nothing but relief. "I think that'd be best." You bowed thankfully in his direction as you excused yourself to make your way across the busy room to a worried Donghyuck. His hands were folded together in his lap while he sat hunched over, eyes staring into space while the stylist fumbled to touch up his hair. Seeing you approaching them both, she smiled up at you, walking away to allow you to speak with him.

He still had no clue of your presence, staring at the table in front of him like nothing else existed. His mind running. You silently stood behind his chair, looking at him through the mirror. He looked so nice in the silver jeans and blue shirt from the music video that was prepared for this stage. You just wished he could see it for himself and wash all this unnecessary nervousness away.

"Donghyuck," you eventually whispered, placing your hands on too of his joined ones from behind, almost how he did for you that day you were struggling to get your homework done. It seemed like ages ago to you now.

He flinched hearing his name, but quickly settled under your touch realizing it was you. He adjusted your hands so he was now entwining them in his lap. "I don't feel so good." he whispered, leaning back against you while he gazed at you in the mirror.

"I can see that clearly." You chuckle feeling his thumb nervously stroke over your hand.

"Everyone you have fifteen minutes until it's your turn to go up on stage!" NCT's manager appeared from a curtain, informing the boys they'd be going on stage very soon. Donghyuck's grip on your hand turned his knuckles white, hands slightly beginning to shake.

"I'm not ready." His voice shook, and his whole body spun around in the chair to actually look at your face like a deer caught in headlights. He was sweating like crazy, hair matted against his forehead.