The Story of Tonight

"John.." He heard a voice echo in his ears.

   "John yes..."

   "Laurens..my John Laurens..."

  Alexander woke up in tears and sweatdrops, pulling his head up. On the table, there was a collection of letters, ink and a single dim candle. He touched his face, feeling some non-dry ink on his forehead.

"Shit.." He cursed quietly.

  He went to the mirror to clean his forehead. He had some ink to wipe away and it was all. He quickly wiped it away. He looked at the white, now in a dark shade of blue, handkerchief.  He could hear some voices from outside. He threw the handkerchief at the table and ran outside.

"Lafayette?" He said, raising an eyebrow. He could see his French friend, drinking. He was mumbling French melody, he didn't see his friend. Alexander repeated, louder this time.

"Lafayette? Hello?"

"Oh monsieur Hamilton! Greetings, mon ami. John Laurens, he was looking for you around." Lafayette greeted, smiling. Alexander was confused now, why was he looking for him anyways?

"Why is that?" He said.

"I do not know, he did not tell me the reason." Lafayette sighed, looking down. As Alexander was about to talk, he cut it. "I-I'm worried about him, Alexander." He said.

"I am as well, my friend." Alexander covered his mouth with his hand, frowning in despair. Lafayette looked away. "Look out for him, oui?" He said, his voice trembling.

"I will, do not worry." Alexander nodded, seeing Lafayette's sign for goodbye.

"'Till we meet again, Alexander."

"Till we meet again, Monsieur Lafayette." He saluted him as he went inside the room again. Why would he be looking? Why was Lafayette so nervous? All of those questions wandered around his head as he opened the door to the door to John Laurens' office.

As expected, John was there. He slowly turned around as he heard the door open with a creak. He looked at him.

"What are you doing here?" John's voice sounded aggressive, Alexander wasn't used to this. Alexander felt attacked and frowned as he heard his tune. "I was looking for you, Laurens. You told Lafayette that you were looking for me." He said. Laurens huffed and sat on the bed with anger.

"Spill it out, John. I can understand it when you're confused."

John looked down and back at his friend.

"I will fight in South Carolina."

Alexander backed away, looking at John. "N-No, John. I can't let you go to South Carolina." He said, a bit louder than the last time. John looked at him, his eyes widening.

"We'll never be free until we end slavery, Alexander. I can lead the black troops to end Redoubt 10." Laurens said, standing up. He walked towards Alexander. "John Laurens, I won't allow you to go to South Carolina. We need you here." He said, standing in his place, serious.

John got closer to the doorway, looking at Alexander. "What if I don't, Hamilton? Do you think you are a better soldier? Huh, is that why you are commanding me?"

"N-No, John, It's no-"

"Oh, George Washington's right hand man! Better than everyone! He can command me and I have to obey!" Laurens mocked him, anger glowing in his eyes.

"John, please.." Now there were tears rolling down John's freckled cheeks.

"You are so desperate, you need attention so much! You always need to be in the light! A-L-E-X-A-N-D-E-R Hamilton! You are the best!" He almost spit on his face. He stopped as he could see Alexander's tears now. Alexander looked at John, he was crying. John had never seen Alexander cry before.