Introduction

In the back of the bar there was a narrow set of stairs leading to the big windowless room. The colourless grey space was brightened by the clothing worn by those within it. The intense smell of wet paint, cologne and sweat mixed grossly in the air. Everyone stood and looked towards the man who was standing on a crate positioned by the wall furthest from the door.

The most colourfully dress was, of course, the latest to the meeting. 

"Y'know, I find these group meetings too... ordered for us 'bad guys'," The Joker giggled, skipping into the room. "Not only that but there's not a single lady villain here, how sexist," He tsk-ed, then locked eyes with a random man in the room, frowned for a moment and then giggled again. 

"Shut-up ya clown, you ain't scaring us," One of the Penguin's men called out, earning a death-threatening glare from his boss. The joker's lip twitched and he looked into the crowd towards the source of the voice. He licked his lips and paced towards him.

"Oh I see fear in this room, but not all of you fear joker, some fear entirely different things, even trivial things that would make normal people laugh," I turned my gaze to the man in Penguin's group. "However, you do indeed fear the Joker... lying won't help you with that,"
Joker sent a Cheshire grin my way but his right to speak another sentence was removed when the man on top of the crate raised his voice again.

"Thank you for your commentary, Scarecrow, If you don't mind, I'd like to continue the meeting,"

"By all means," I bowed my head out of courtesy.

"We all want to have our fun here in this city, but we have obstructions. They aren't just vigilantes or cops," No one interrupted the partially disfigured man as he spoke. "The big mob bosses out there want some of us on their side, and I say 'go ahead' to those of you who want that, but just know that they are only doing it for their own power and control." The minor irony was that there were many men in the room who were working for the villains that this speech was targeted for. They were present as muscle and protection in case of any unexpected attacks.

"So you want us to pick you over Falcone and Marone and all that lot, eh?" Penguin asked Two-Face who had finished speaking.

"Yes. An alliance perhaps. We are powerful adversaries that would make these crime families much stronger. I suggest - "

"Sounds like a lot of you making the shots, and I ain't gonna support that." Deadshot declared.

"Shall we see what our dear friend who called this meeting is suggesting?" I tried to play a mediator role. It was a not too unfamiliar role in my life. 

"Thanks Scarecrow. Did you have something to say?" Two-Face asked from his position, silencing the murmurings that Deadshot had started.

"I think that the crime families mean us less harm then the Batman and the GCPD. They might offer protection. I think if we're going to create a collective out of ourselves, we should seek alliances with the crime families of Gotham and then we can have a structural association with them." 

Murmurs filled the room. 
"This could work. We can break for the night and return in two weeks time. For now, we can find ways of communicating as a group away from this grim old room."

"I'd have loads of ways to send undetected messages to all of you without the GCPD knowing, it's a shame you all don't match my intellect," The Riddler was leaning against the wall right next to the door. Though Ed Nigma was profiled as severely narcissistic, I knew him in a less grandiose way as a friend. He played his part well, but away from the limelight of his criminal persona, he was just a excitedly confident polymath.

"Very well, give us examples of these forms of messaging and we will go from there, this meeting has been adjourned until further notice."

For a mass of criminals, we all left the room in a very structured manner. We had to leave in intervals so not to cause suspicion. Batman and his trusty companions in tight leather suits loved to be on the look-out no matter what time of day. 

I put my scarecrow costume into my briefcase a block away from where the meeting had commenced and walked to my apartment, cloaked by 2am autumn darkness.
My apartment was a cheap rental on the second floor of a complex, ten minutes' drive from the gates of Arkham. I had a sufficient income for a better home which I'd perhaps eventually seek out. 

I collapsed comfortably into the mustard coloured armchair the previous tenant had left behind.

"How was work honey?" I flicked my eyes open to see that Poison Ivy was leaning against the window frame, looking lovely as usual with her long flaming hair and green bodysuit.

"Good Morning, Dr Isly," I murmured. "Two-Face didn't talk much, just wanted us to all form an alliance in an act of defiance against the mobsters and as insurance for each other,"

"Sounds like boring men stuff," she sighed. "I'd say that the girls and I were disheartened by our lack of invitation but I think we all had a better night without vague suggestions from men."

I took my shoes and tie off to allow myself some comfort. "And to what do I owe the pleasure of your visit?"

"You're the only competent man in that group of boisterous fools," She explained. "I was curious to know what the 'villains' of Gotham were scheming next." Ivy had already began opening my window again to take her leave. "I also just wanted to see how you were doing. The answer to that one is 'tired', I see."
I smiled back at her through heavy eyelids. "Well you know where I live so your questions will always be answered," I reminded her while taking to the couch. 

"Till next time," after offering a soft smile, she left through the window and I fell asleep shortly after.