Chapter 1

I shivered in the corner of the cold, damp, basement. The cement floor was ice cold, and the walls were a dark green, making the room seem even darker than it was, and it didn't help that the only source of light was a small lightbulb giving off the least amount of light possible.I knew they would be home any minute now, and I shuddered at the thought of what they would do to me.

I heard the slam of a door and the stomping of footsteps. I shrank back into the shadows as the basement door flew open. Standing at the top of the stairs was Eric and his father, Sebastian Malfoy.

They both sauntered down the stairs, and Eric stepped up to me.

"Hello beautiful," he crooned. "We're back."

"Stand up!" Sebastian Malfoy barked.

Shaking from head to toe, I slowly stood. I saw Eric looking me up and down, lust overflowing in his eyes. In one quick motion, he pushed me against the wall and pinned my wrists above my head. He unbuttoned my shirt, and eyed my bra longingly. He glanced at Sebastian, who shook his head.

Eric moved to the side, still pinning my wrists, and Sebastian pulled out a large, sharp knife. He stepped forwards and pressed the knife to my stomach, hard enough to draw blood. He started carving a word into my skin. I writhed in pain.

Then, Sebastian flipped me around, so I was facing the wall. Eric pulled off the rest of my shirt. Sebastian started carving another word into my back. I was in agony, writhing around like a fish out of water. Finally, he was done, but he didn't let go of me yet. He slipped down my shorts, leaving me in the only undergarments they had given me. My bra was lacy and skin tight, barely see through. My underwear was also lacy, and it was VERY see through. They left me there, nearly naked, and bleeding, tears streaming down my cheeks.

I woke up in a cold sweat. The sun was shining brightly through the windows, enveloping my room in a golden light. I rolled over, trying to fall back asleep, but my efforts were fruitless.

The headmistress of the all girls orphanage I was currently residing in,  Mrs. Lockhart, slammed the door open, poked her head in, and, seeing I was awake, snapped, "Get up! There's someone here to see you." She promptly slammed the door back shut.

I sighed. Mrs. Lockhart was grumpy and short-tempered, but she was better than Sebastian and Eric Malfoy. I had come here two years ago, after one of the neighbors had gotten suspicious of how I was being treated, and had called CPS. I probably owed that woman my life. Still, nothing could be done to remove the words carved into my skin by Sebastian, or the memory of Eric's lustful eyes. Some people would put themselves at ease by drugs, or self-harm, but I settled for a more peaceful way to deal with the painful memories. I became mute. I haven't spoken for six years, as of today. I had stopped speaking on my fifth birthday, and today was my eleventh birthday.

I was surprised that I had a visitor, though. I never had a visitor before, you really only got one if there was someone thinking of fostering or adopting you, and I had made it clear after Sebastian and Eric had abused me, that I would not be put into the foster system, nor be adopted. I would rather wait until I was of age, then leave and get my own home and a job, than be adopted, and have to wait longer in a possibly bad environment until I could leave and live on my own.

Maybe Mrs. Lockhart had forgotten about her promise not to have me fostered or adopted. I'd have to remind her of that. Well, it would be rude to refuse to see my visitor, and it's not as though I'll have another one. I might as well experience the process.

I quickly changed out of my tattered pajamas and into the clothes I normally reserved for Sunday mornings, when the whole orphanage went to church. They were the nicest clothes I owed, a only slightly used second-hand navy blue shirt with a matching skirt that had, at one point, reached down to my knees, but it was now slightly shorter, still short enough to be decent, however.