Chapter Ten

--->>--->>--->>

He lands on his side painfully and a silent scream rips from his throat. What on earth was--? He turns so that he's lying on his stomach. The thick smoke makes his eyes sting and he clenched his jaw as he slowly lifts himself up from the ground. He couldn't see anything in the smoke.

"Emily?!" He shouts. Peter stiffens when she doesn't answer right away. "Emily!"

"Peter?"

Oh, thank Aslan!

"Peter, where are you?" She asks.

"Over here!"

Emily stumbles through the fog towards him. He jogs to her and tackles her in a hug, nearly knocking them both over.

"You alright?" Emily cranes her neck to stare up at him. She barely reaches his shoulders.

"I'm fine," he mumbles in her hair. Peter backs out of the hug when she steps away. "You?"

"I'm alright," Emily mutters. She holds her arm out and rolls up her sleeve. He winces at the blood dripping down her arm. "Just a scrape from when I landed. You sure you're alright, Peter?"

"I'll be fine," he nods. "What was that?"

"I don't -- I don't know," Emily frowns. Her eyes dart around quickly for the culprit. She tugs on Peter's sleeve and he glances over at her, only turning when she points at something in the distance.

A man was standing on the cliffside, staring down at them with a glowing blue sword in his hands. He's covered half his face with his olive green scarf and has a green hood over his head. The only thing Peter can see are his pale blue eyes. The rest of him is covered up in a green cloak. Peter's shoulders tense as they lock eyes. Funnily enough, Peter didn't see malice in them only curiosity. Which only meant he was just as confused about them as they were about him.

"I've never seen him around before," Emily says with a puzzled frown.

"Do you think he's the one causing all the trouble?"

"He has to be...he...Peter, look out!"

Peter turns around in time to see a giant green fireball heading his way. Emily pushes him and he leaps off his feet, breathing heavily as he cranes his neck when he hears a loud roar from the fire behind him. There's a large brown spot were a patch of grass used to be.

"What do we do?" Emily shouts from the other side of the fire.

Peter doesn't reply right away. The masked man jumps down from the cliff with a bow and arrow in his hands. Peter's jaw drops when the bow transforms back into a sword. How'd he--?

"Peter?" Emily calls to him nervously.

"Run!" Damn, if only he had a sword of his own.

"What?"

The masked man's gloved hand glows blue as he aims right at them.

"Run! We have to run for now!"

Another fireball is tossed their way. Peter ducks his head in time as he sprints forward with Emily close beside him. There's something familiar about his movements that Peter can't quite figure out. He's heading right for them in quick strides, carefully dodging the tall trees surrounding them. He's dangerously closer to Emily.