Cadence

-Hey, guys!  This is a story I've been working on for only a few days now, I couldn't wait to post it.  The above picture is of Cadence, BTW-

Mindy here, in excruciating pain for seventeen days and counting.  It's almost 11:00 p.m., and I can't sleep.  

I grab my phone off my bedside table, closing my eyes before turning it on so I don't blind myself.  Eyes still closed, my fingers work madly to turn the brightness down to a manageable level.

As soon as my eyes adjust, I dial Cadence.  Half a ring goes by before she picks up.

"Hey, Min.  What's up?"

"Cady, you've gotta help me," 

"Minty?  You okay?  Tell me what's wrong,"

"Something is super wrong with one of my teeth,"

"You know Chad could look at that for you.  And I know it freaks you out, but I think it's a good idea," 

"I know, I just-I can't,"

"I'm hugging you through the phone.  You can do it, babe,"

Then she's gone.

I flip my pillow over for probably the fifth time tonight and begin my nightly mental debate, my rational side vs. my terrified side:

You've got to tell him.

He'll be so disappointed.

He'll get over it quick and fix you.  The only way for it to stop hurting is if you tell him.

It'll hurt...

He'll give you Lidocaine and Ty will be there.  

If I tell him he'll make me go.

He'll wait until tomorrow morning.  And Cady thinks it's a good idea, too.

I'll probably puke on him.

He's your brother.  He's seen you puke before.

Soon enough, my terrified side is running out of arguments.  My rational side is winning.  I have to tell him.

I roll out of bed and tiptoe down the hall.

See, my brother is a dentist, and a bloody good one at that.  But I hate the dentist.  Ever since Dr. Michaels.  That man doesn't even deserve the title of doctor.

I reach Chad's door, check to see light spilling from the crack underneath, hold my breath, and creak it open.

No one's there.

A light tap on my shoulder startles me.  I whip around to see Chad grinning tiredly, a mug of tea in one hand.

"Hey, Minty.  What you up to?"

"I-uh...smelled your tea...and I...wanted some,"

He frowns a little and sniffs at the steam wafting up from his mug.  "Pretty fragrant, I guess." he mumbles.  "Come back to the kitchen with me and I'll make you some,"

Do you want to read this?