Two

It was midmorning when the family had everything packed into the U-Haul truck. Richard was conversing with the driver when Tonya and Natalie stepped out of the house. There was a look of solemnity on Natalie's face as she entered the back seat. A new life awaited her. It was time for her to leave her best friend for an environment that was new to her. Taking a deep breath, Tonya entered the passenger seat and turned to face her daughter. "Are you ready, Nattie?" she asked. 

She shook her head.

Tonya chuckled. There was a hint of sadness in that chuckle. "This hurts me too, sweetheart." She began caressing Natalie's hair. "I'll be leaving my best friend for a new place."

"Then why leave now?"

Tonya hesitated with a sigh. "There's a lot of reasons, and I wish I could tell you right now. Just trust me, Nattie. We'll figure it out. Now, are you ready?"

"I guess so," she replied.

Richard entered the car with them, turning to meet Natalie's gaze. "Don't worry, Nattie," he said in assurance. "We'll be fine."

Natalie gave her father a nod as they saw the U-Haul truck make its departure. Richard went north before turning onto Parkview Drive, making his way down the narrow street as he parked in front of a green, rodeo style house. Exiting the car, the family walked slowly down the walkway and stepped onto the porch. Tonya knocked on the door and waited. A few seconds later, they were greeted by a tall, slender woman with golden hair tied in a messy bun and turquoise eyes. Meeting Tonya's gaze, her nonchalant face beamed with excitement and embraced her. "Tonya! What are you doing here at this hour?" She met the eyes of Natalie and Richard. "You brought the whole family?"

"Hey Loran!" greeted Tonya. "We wanted to say hello to you and stop by."

"Oh don't let me keep you guys out here in the heat." Loran gestured to them to enter. "Come on in and make yourselves at home."

The living room space had beige carpeted floors underneath a green rug and a wooden furnished table. A few paintings hung on the white walls as the morning light poured through the white floral drapes and into the living room. The family sat on the sofa as Loran joined them, sitting in a beige armchair with her legs crossed. "So what brings the whole family here? I can tell from the looks on your faces that this isn't something good."

Tonya shook her head. "Because it isn't. Loran, we came here to say goodbye."

A concerned look fell on her face. "You're moving out of the neighborhood?"

"I'm moving," answered Tonya with a nod. "I'm moving to Oxford, Alabama to open a flower shop."

Concern gave way to hurt as Loran heard this answer. "Lena," she called. Footsteps echoed down the hall until it reached the living room. A young girl with golden hair and turquoise eyes—just like her mother—entered the room. "Yes, momma?"

"Can you bring Natalie with you for a moment? She's here to see you."

Lena smiled and took Natalie's hand, bringing her out of the living room. Tonya and Richard were now left with Loran.

A sigh escaped her breath. "Why so far away from me?"

"I'm sorry, Loran," said Tonya. "I wish it didn't have to be, but you know my circumstances. It all led up to this point."

"Does it have to do with the coven breathing down your neck? Is it to keep your daughter away from them?"

"Wait!" A confused look spurned from Richard. "You know about this?"

Loran drew a smirk. "I'm like a fourth sister to Tonya. She tells me everything."

"Well damn me for being ignorant of these sorts of things," muttered Richard.