Blood Moon

Prologue

I was standing on the lunar dome, the bloody knife in my left hand, as I watch my last sister wobble. Clandestine was clutching her neck, blood oozing from the wound I gave her. Herdark green eyes settled on me and a shiver ran down my spine. I looked away and dropped the knife. I faintly heard the body of my sister falling to the floor creating a soft thud and a low whimper. When I had the grace to look again, I was met by the same green eyes, still open but now lifeless.

My knees gave in too. In the most unprincess-like manner, I flopped down and stared at my now dead sisters. The artificial sky of my planet glowed mockingly at me, staring down at the murderer of my sisters. Hot tears welled from my eyes as I looked at Clandestine. The blood from my wound is still flowing. I went near her and took my little sister's hand.

"I-I'm sorry." I sobbed. I was really sorry about killing my sisters. I was sorry for killing Clandestine, my sweet little sister who wanted nothing but to be free. She wanted to become a singer and travel all districts of Selenius to perform. She never wanted to be a princess lest to be a queen. She wanted to become a simple Selene--not a royal, not someone who lavishes on luxury while the people out in the districts die of hunger.

My two other sisters lie dead on the other side of the lunar dome. I can still see their silhouettes even through the dark night. Cassandra, my other sister, born with the gift of beauty, lies near our mother's statue. Princess Cora, our eldest, tackled her and shoved her head towards their mother's statue until she broke Cassandra's skull. Poor, sweet Cassandra died right away and Cora laughed so hard, but it was evident in her eyes that she regretted killing our sister. Her anguish must have been too much for her to bear, for after a few, delicate moments, I saw Cora taking a knife and plunging it into her heart.

The dome stretched into my view. Wide chandeliers hung uselessly on the glass ceilings. For sixteen years, I had never seen these chandeliers with its lights on. Servants say they are just simply for ornamentation purposes. They were never to be used because Selenes would not appreciate the beauty of their artificial sky if the chandeliers would glow.

It is uncanny to be afraid of something so bright.

Clandestine's blood seeped into my gown, making me jump and interrupting my thoughts. I raised my shaking, bloody hand and closed Cland's eyes. A loud bell was rung and the dome was finally opened. Hundred servants rushed in, pulling the body of the dead princesses away while others started cleaning the bloody mess.

I was staring at my sisters who were being dragged. A lump in my throat formed as I watched them, a silent goodbye, a quiet apology, and a promise.

A hand clasped my wrist and I looked up. Magus Peran, head mage of my kingdom, stood beside me. He wears his usual black robe, its edges were gold in color. He was holding his scepter, but sometimes I think that it was just an oddly looking green walking stick. But there were so many occasion when I saw the power of the scepter. Peran could make the sky rain fire with it. He could easily kill anyone if he wants to.

But he was nothing without the scepter. That thought often made me breathe with relief. Sure, the Magus' were powerful sorcerers, but they were never a match to anyone in the royal bloodline. They needed a channel for their powers unlike the royalties who can use theirs even with their eyes closed.