Chapter 1 - Help me

Welcome to book two of Memento, to avoid confusion I recommend reading the first book beforehand but if you decide to jump that book and rush straight into this one, I will try to clear up any confusion. And things should become more clear the more you read.

I hope you enjoy, I had fun writing this one and hope you have fun reading it.

Comments and votes are always appreciated. So without further ado here is the first chapter of Broken.

**************

*Cameron's POV*

I ran as fast as my legs would take me, my heart beating loud in my ears, it was the only reassuring thing, knowing I was still alive, knowing my heart was still beating. I didn't know where I was going, nor did I care, I just ran for as long as I could.

I was never a lucky person, which is why when the skies opened and rain began pouring down hard, I wasn't exactly surprised. I mean, this was just my luck, right? The rain hit the pavement, hard, drenching me from head to toe. That's when I saw the building, it looks to be maybe a school?

Quickly looking behind me, nobody was to be seen but I wasn't going to risk anything. Heading now in the direction of the building, I tried to pick up my pace more but my feet were already hurting too much.

My energy and strength were both running low with every second that passed but I wouldn't give up, not now. Not now I can finally taste the freedom I've been craving my whole life.

Finally reaching the doors of the building, I didn't stop nor hesitate as I threw the doors open, rushing inside. There were people everywhere, this could be good. But could I trust them?

"Somebody please help me!" I probably looked a mess as I stood there wide eyed and completely drenched. People stared back at me, all sharing looks of surprise. I probably would have laughed at their comical reactions if I could.

I stood staring, confused as people began to back away, probably thinking I was crazy. Well that was an understatement...

I sighed aloud, prepared to turn back around and continue my adventure in the rain when I felt a hand fall onto my shoulder. I jumped back, pressing myself against the nearest locker, my heartbeat picking up as I stared at the boy in front of me. Calming my breathing, I closed my eyes for a second before taking a deep breath and reopening them.

The boy in front of me apologised, a sincere smile stood clear on his face, I couldn't help but stare at him in amazement. A boy stood behind him, watching me carefully with a gentle smile. Why were they smiling?

"What's your name?" The boy in front of me spoke, causing me to snap my attention back to him. My name?

"Cameron." That was my name, not that anybody ever used it. Why would my name matter?

"Hi Cameron, I'm Adrian. This is my boyfriend, Zach." He held his hand out towards me and I tried not to press myself closer to the locker behind me as I stared at his hand. Handshake?

Hesitantly, I outstretched my hand, connecting it with his. He shook my hand with a careful grip, it was different.

"Cameron?" The boy behind him asked. Zach, right? I watched him, carefully, acknowledging that he had spoken to me without having to actually talk.

"You said you needed help?" He moved to stand more to the side of him but it was then I saw that it was Adrian keeping him behind him. I didn't speak just nodded, flicking my eyes from Zach then back to Adrian. Could I trust them? Adrian didn't seem to trust me.

"What can we help you with Cameron?" Adrian asked, watching me intensely. Yeah, he didn't trust me.

"I-uh" I scratched my head, avoiding eye contact. I came here to get away from them but I was suddenly hit with the sense of fear and dread. What if I made a mistake? What if he was right and there was no escape? Was I doomed to spend my life there, trapped, just another experiment, just another patient? No, I was more than that.