Chapter 18

Emma's POV

"Are you sure you want to do this? I still don't understand why you won't let me go with you-"

"I want to do this on my own. I want to know the truth. She won't hurt me I promise. You're filming a movie right now you can't leave." I tell him as he places my small suitcase in the back seat. He looks down sadly making me feel upset about my decision.

"Hey," I start and lift up his chin a little so he can look at me. "I love you, everything will be alright," I tell him and he nods. He leans in slowly and kisses my forehead softly.

"I love you too, please stay safe and call me if you need anything." I nod and kiss his lips softly but passionately. I didn't know what was bound to happen in the next couple of days, so I didn't want to let this moment pass.

"I'll be back soon, and then you can talk to me about that thing that you were bugging me about this morning," I say playfully and get in the front seat of my car. He closes the door and I turn on the car, lowering the window.

"You better be back soon, I love you, Emma." He says and kisses my lips once more.

"I love you too." I smile at him softly and he steps away from the car, letting me drive off. My mother was only about 4 hours away in a car and I decided to take a short road trip, it couldn't hurt anyone.

~

The second I step out my car, I am hit by the smell of the sea. Of course, she would get a beach house. It was what she always wanted. I grab my small suitcase and walk towards the small beach house. I didn't know what was going to happen. I didn't see any cars around so it kept me a bit suspicious. She told me that John wasn't gonna be here since he didn't trust me enough to not bring any cops. Which he was right because if he was here I would've definitely called the cops.

I walked to the small house and knocked on the door softly. The door creaked open slowly and I stepped into the house.

"Mom?" I call out and look around.

"Yes, I'm here, in the living room." Her weak voice echoed the room quickly. I know I'm foolish enough to even call her back after everything that happened. But this is my mother. I'm probably even more stupid to come here without Andrew but I wasn't gonna put his life on the line again.

"I'm sorry I made you come all this way. I only have today left." She said sadly. I walked into the living room and saw her laying on the couch. She looked pale and tired.

"Why?" Are the only words that came out my mouth as I sat across from her.

"Emma, I'm sorry. Andrew was never supposed to get hurt and neither were you. Your father had changed the plans once you lost your memory. He was so desperate to get the money and I loved him so much that I didn't realize I was hurting you." She says and sits up slowly.

"You could've just asked and I would've let you and him travel the world. You both didn't have to do that."

"Emma I'm sorry, I love you. And I don't want to spend my last day arguing. I know it's a lot to ask from you, but could we just sit here and talk about something else?" She asked me and I nodded. She patted the seat next to her and I sat down.

"So tell me, how are things with you and Andrew?"

"Well they're great actually after we left the hospital, he kind of moved in with me."

"What do you mean kind of?" She asks me and I laugh.

"Well, he's always over my house, but we've never really talked about moving in with each other. He basically lives with me. I mean I don't mind at all." I say and she laughs.

"How did you find out you had cancer?" I ask her curiously.

"We paid a doctor to check me without telling anyone." She said.

"That makes more sense. Since when have you known?"

"You're just gonna keep asking questions aren't you?" She says and we both laugh.

"I've known for a month. I called your number this week because it got worse and I found out I only had a little time left." She said and I laid my head on her shoulder.

"Do you want to go for a walk on the beach? I have enough strength to go." She says.

"Yes, of course, lets go." I help her up from the couch and we both leave the small beach house and into the beach.

"Emma could we just lay here for a little bit?" I look at her and see she looks lightheaded. I help her down onto the sand and she lays down.

"Emma could you lay here next to me." She asks me and I lay beside her.

"Emma, if I could go back in time and erase all the mistakes I made I would. I know I raised and taught you well but as a mother, I should have never betrayed you like that. And your stepfather, I realized that he is obsessed with money. So we split the money and went our separate ways. That is why he isn't here." She says and I rest my head on her chest, near her heart. I could hear her heartbeat slow down. I closed my eyes tightly trying not to let the tears escape my eyes.

My mom was gonna die in my arms.

"Emma, I love you. Please take care of yourself. Andrew is a good man, stay with him. He loves you so much. He'd give up anything for you. You can see it in his eyes." She said slowly. She caressed my hair softly and tears started to come out.

"I love you too mom. I forgive you." I tell her and she takes a deep breath in.

"Thank you, Emma." She said and I wrapped my arm around her stomach and held her tightly. Her heartbeat slowed down to a stop and I sat up to look at her. Her eyes were closed and she wasn't breathing.

"Mom?" I cry out but she doesn't answer. I hold her close to my chest and cry. That's all I can do, to be honest. I know my mom betrayed me, but she was sorry, and she meant it.

I cry out at the top of my lungs and sway back and forth. What am I supposed to do now?

A/N

I'm so so sorry for taking so long, I said I was gonna update a while ago and then I got my phone taken away and now I have to catch up with school because I've missed three days this whole quarter and they were all test days 😢

Anyhow, I'm sorry for the sad chapter and I'm sorry if there are any grammar errors. I wanted to update both my wonderful stories tonight in a 2-hour bus ride and I am half asleep. Luckily, I was able too. I personally love it when you guys give me feedback and tell me if you love or hate something on my writing it helps me improve. I love you all and I hope you all had an amazing day.