Chapter Ten: Snickerdoodle Latte

Julian casually glanced about the cafe as he made his way towards the door. There were quite a few people there that late morning. Mostly couples. They sat close together, speaking in hushed voices, smiles playing on their lips. One particular couple looked like they were just about to kiss. Their eyes wandered back and forth. The girl bit her lower lip, and the guy sitting across from her seemed fixated on her mouth. They leaned in closer and closer, as if gravity were pulling them towards each other.

Julian quickly looked away, feeling as though he were intruding by witnessing such an intimate moment. Then again, it was a public place. Being so lovey dovey in the middle of a cafe was bound to garner some attention. Still, it felt wrong to watch them. Why would he want to anyhow? That was weird. Really weird.

Feeling like a complete and utter creep, Julian picked up his pace and was just about to exit the cafe when he noticed a familiar face. Flora was sitting at a small table in the middle of the cafe, her sketchbook open and her pencil moving rapidly across the page. A smile tugged at his lips, and he slowly approached her.

The ends of her hair brushed against the tabletop as she bent over her sketchbook in deep concentration. It was straight today, as opposed to her typical curls. It looked longer, too. And he hadn't noticed before that she had bangs. They were long and swooped over her forehead. Did she normally pin them back?

She brushed back a strand of hair and tucked it behind her ear. As she did so, she caught sight of him. A bright smile spread across her face.

"Hey there," she said.

"Hey," he replied, a warm sensation radiating from his cheeks and spreading to his toes at the sight of her smile.

She gestured at the chair across from her. "Do you want to—"

"Sure." He quickly pulled the chair out and took a seat.

"What are you drinking today? Something disgustingly sweet?"

He held up his cup. "Snickerdoodle latte. Like drinking a cookie."

"Why would you want to drink a cookie?"

"Why would I refuse a cookie in any shape or form? I think only psychopaths dislike cookies."

Flora laughed, the deep sound echoing throughout the cafe and drawing a few stares. But she didn't seem to notice or care. Julian couldn't help but admire that.

"I didn't interrupt your work, did I?" he asked, glancing down at her sketchbook.

"Oh, no. I'm just working on Jayda's next costume."

"Costume?"

"Yeah, Jayda's into cosplaying. It's where you dress up as a character from an anime or comic book or movie or whatnot."

"I've heard of cosplaying, I've just never known anyone who does it. So you make her costumes?"

"Yes. She can't work the sewing machine, so since I've been sewing for like ever, I offered to do the labor as long as she got the supplies."

"Wow. That's pretty—"

"Strange?"

"I was going to say cool. What costumes has she done?"

"Oh, quite a few. She has a wide range of taste with regards to her geekery, but she does tend to focus on anime. Right now I'm working on a design for a human version of a Pokémon. See?"

She turned her sketchbook towards him. Not being overly familiar with the series, Julian wasn't sure which Pokémon it was, but it was certainly beautiful. Long blue hair, a floor-length dress, and what looked like wings attached to the arms.