Chapter twelve: To the battle it is

My breath hitched in my throat. There was no denying the sickness in my stomach, the revolting feeling of loss before something has even began.

People were everywhere. Walking to the armoury, the stables, the dragons den, just as I was now.

"Reona!" I called. The beat of her wings calmed me. "The battle is close, will you fight with me?"

"Anything for you, M'lord." She bowed her head as I glared at her.

She allowed me to climb onto her back and then flew through the hole in the roof. We landed outside were both Camelot and Towerkuns knights awaited.

"Our original plans will need to be scrapped, brother!" Peter called.

"Instead we will have the dragons making a circle, in the air and not. Anyone who is loyal to Merek and wishes to escape will be burned." I ordered.

"You truly are a King, aren't you." I turned to see Arthur.

"I'm not King, only Prince. I thought that after hearing Morgana-"

"I will not flee, not when I made a promise to myself." He snapped. I nodded.

"Tell your men that they may leave, this is not their fight."

"We're not leaving you, mate." I heard Gwaine from behind me.

'I'm not saying you have to, but if you wish to-'

'We're staying and that's final.'

'You are true friends.' They nodded their heads at me whilst Arthur gave a sour look.

'Brother, we must leave before they gain any more ground.' I turned to Peter and nodded my head.

'Reona, lead the dragons. I want some in the air and some on the ground. Tell them to burn any of Merek's men who try to leave. Don't risk burning our and Camelot men and woman.'

'You have the woman fight?' Arthur asked, astonished.

'They are just as skilled as any male knight. That's why we keep them here so that no man tries to make a move on them. Blood is hard to wash out of clothes.' Peter told Arthur, who looked slightly taken aback a the word choice.

'M'lord, Merek and Morgana are almost upon us, we must make our move.' Sir Rulf yelled, puffing after running towards us.

'Get into positions!' I shouted.

Men lined up on house back, whilst woman saddled on that of dragons. Men held their swords, and woman held their bows.

'You know, maybe we could try giving Merek a chance and get the ladies on the ground. We do, after all, have the best archers in all the kingdoms.' Peter smirked.

'Peter now is not the time to be joking around.' I said in all seriousness.

'Sorry.'

We looked ahead, a dull blur of touches in the distance.

'For Towerkuns!' I screamed, charging forwards on my black beauty of a horse.

A mass of screams a war cries sounded as a patch of men followed my lead and woman on dragons flew in formation, ready to form a circle.

The first to fall was a young soldier in black. He had an arrow in his back. Many others fell. My sword slashed through the ranks like a knife cutting through bread. Men from both sides fell to their knees, screaming in agony.

Then, I saw Merek. He stood next to Morgana, protected by his back line of soldiers. Suddenly, I was not here, on the battle field, but back in the castle, a fight surrounding me. It was as if my father had allowed me to stay on fight all though years ago.

But in the centre of it all...was Merek.

I charged towards him, determined to slash his throat. He pulled out his sword, and a waterfall of sparks fell to the ground when metal clashed against metal. I raised my swords to meet his head, but he blocked it.

It was like I was 14 again. My moves were sloppy and I wasn't executing them right. I forgot how to twist and hit. Merek knocked me to the ground. His eyes were dark as he stood above me.

The battle faded back in, and something in my brain clicked.

I swung my sword at him legs whilst laying on the ground. His sword flew from his hands. I looked down at him. Finally, I could put an end to his rule, to his evil.

'Wáce ierlic!' I heard Morgana's voice shout. I flew back.

Morgana walked up to me, a dagger in her hands. She kneeled next to me.

'Oh Emrys, you need not worry. I will stay with you, watch you as you die by my hand. But no harm shall come to you after that, I will make sure of that. But Arthur, he will die, and I will take my rightful place on the throne of Camelot.'

'Your rightful place is on the pyre, burning.' I hissed at her. She let out a dark chuckle, her shoulders jerking as she did so.

'And your's is to watch as I kill all you hold dear.' With that, she lived her dagger, ready to bring it down to my heart.

She gasped as a sword slid through her own heart, blood staining its metal.

She fell to the ground. 'Emrys...' she muttered before her breath left her.

'Oh well down, Merlin. You are no longer the young naïve little boy I wanted dead. And my how you've grown. Why, when I last saw you, you were being carried from a battle you should have fought.' Merek smirked.

'You should have died years ago, Merek!' I screamed

'No, you should have.' He paused. 'Did you ever wonder why I wanted you dead?'

I shrugged, glaring at him.

'I wanted you dead because of who you would grow to be. But my stupid brother made sure to get you out of the kingdom. But do you know what he said when I injured him? Hmm? Do you? I don't suppose he told you. No, I don't think he would have even recognised you, you're so different.

'He told me 'Merlin is not strong enough to rule, not yet. He may never rule, because you will never find him, not ever. He will die before you get your filthy hands on him.' That's how little he believed in you. Stupid king Balinor, always trying to protect his two little boys.

'But he never understood. We would meet again, and you would die by my head.' Merek lunged for me, sword raised. I engage in battle. Cling, cling, our swords clashed. I slipped o the side to hit his back. He deflected. I raised my sword, ready to strike, but Merek was ready. We fought on and on. Sparks were flying everywhere. Fire surrounded us.

I heard a screech. I know it was Reona, and as Merek looked up, I struck him. He looked at me, surprise clear on his face. He gasped as I pulled my sword from his gut. He blinked a few times, then fell to his knees. Thuds sounded around us. I turned to see Merek's men falling to the ground.

'Merek's men were tied to him. If he died, they would too.'Reona called as she glided to land in front of me.

Peter broke through the mass of confused men and woman.

'Merlin, you did it.' He smiled, though death still surrounded us.

'My king,' Sir Rulf said, bowing with many more following his lead. I just glared.

I turned to Arthur, who was, for some reason, bowing to me also.

'I thought you hated me.'

'As did I. But you fought for honour, and to save your kingdom. I realised that's what you've been doing all this time.

'Thank you.' I said smiling.

Finally, things were looking up.

Ok, so I haven't updated in a while so I thought I would now. I know this isn't great, and it feels a little rushed. There's still an epilogue to go, so hold tight, it may take some time. Again, tell me what you thing.

Also, I've been thinking sbout putting another story on wattpad about werewolves. I attempted this once but it didn't work out. I'm trying again. 

So yay or nay to this new book?