The Magic Fades

Princess Marjorine was wearing a light blue dress with pink trim, laced in the middle with gold lace. On his neck was a choker made of blue silk, decorated with a large emerald. Pearl encrusted hairpins held his bangs out of his face, and white gloves were pulled up to his elbows.

    “Marjorine, you look great.” Bebe, one of his handmaidens said as she fixed his makeup. “How do you feel?”

“Fine, I guess, but do I really need to wear the corset?” Honestly, it wasn’t tight at all, and was just being worn under the dress for show. But Butters found the thing stiff and uncomfortable.

“Yes, you’ll get used to it.” Bebe said, running a brush through his hair one last time, “You’re so very lucky, getting to marry a prince.”

    Linda opened the door, “Bu-- Marjorine, the guests are all waiting for you.” Butters stood and gave a quick hug to Bebe.

“Good luck Marjorine, have extra fun for me.” Bebe said, grinning. Butters nodded a bit and headed downstairs.

    Butters slowly walked down the ballroom steps, all eyes focusing on him. His cheeks went pink and he sighed. There were so many people out there, and most of them were trying to marry him. He put on his best smile and got down the stairs, nodding a small greeting to everyone.

    He politely declined dances from the princes he walked past, going to get himself a glass of champagne and have a seat.

Some birthday party this is, no one has even said happy birthday. But, as if his mind was read, he heard a quiet voice mutter:

“Uh, Happy Birthday.”

    Butters looked up, the prince who had said it had short blond hair, which was curly at the top. He was chewing on his thumbnail, and spoke his words around it, making them sound like mumbling.

“Thanks.” Butters said with a smile, standing so he was at eye level with him.

“I’m Prince Bradley from the Kingdom of New Grace.” He bowed slightly.

“Well, I suppose you already know I’m Princess Marjorine of Stotch.” He said with a curtsey. Bradley smiled shyly,

“We should dance, do you want to?” he asked, holding his hand out. After a moment of hesitation, Butters took his hand.

    Neither of them were very good dancers, but nonetheless, they enjoyed themselves. Making conversation as they danced. The talked of themselves and of their kingdoms, Butters being careful not to reveal who he actually was. Both Butters and Bradley were so happy, that the ended up losing track of time.

    Butters looked up at the clock, it was past midnight and most of the guests had left.

“Bradley, you’ve been real sweet, but my parents need to talk to me.” He said, Bradley taking his arms from around Butters’ waist.

“Okay.” He smiled a bit, “You’re really terrific Marjorine, thanks for spending the evening with me.”

    And the two of them parted, both hopeful and in love.

    Butters hummed happily as he practically skipped down the wide hallways to the throne room. He was to go there and see his parents, and they would tell him who they had decided on. Butters wondered if he was going to marry Prince Bradley. His parents had seen the two of them at the party, so they must have known that Butters cared for him. His worries from before the party had melted away completely.

    The King and Queen both turned their heads when they heard the door open.

“Marjorine!” King Stephen frowned, “You were supposed to be here by twelve o’clock.”

“Sorry mom and dad, I was just really enjoying the party is all.” he responded, hanging his head. Queen Linda put an arm around him and smiled,

“Well, it is your birthday, so I suppose it’s forgivable.” she said, before taking a deep breath. “Marjorine, we’ve found someone for you to wed. We’ve been talking with your future mother in law, Queen Kenny of Cormickton.”

    Butters knew of the kingdom of Cormickton. they were good people, but they fought wars they couldn’t win and often ended up in debt. He knew his parents had done this as a financial move.

    Butters frowned, looking over to see that Queen Kenny was in the room with them. He hadn’t noticed her before. Butters gave a small curtsey and nodded.

    “And so Marjorine,” Stephen said with a forced smile, “You will be marrying Queen Kenny’s adopted son, Prince Eric Cartman.”