Chapter Twenty Three

“Sixty seconds!” Michelle called out over the channel. She was keeping an eye on the missile strike that Angela had just ordered thirty seconds ago, letting her know when it was time to get the hell away. If she was too close to where the Meteors impacted then not even the rugged Rogue would be able to save her neck.

Still, Angela had a job to do; and it was an important one. She had to get the Destroyer's attention and keep it away from the main battle line that was currently engaged with a flood of UNE tanks and soldiers. However this was easier said than done. She had been peppering it with rounds and flying around it trying to make the big bastard see her, but right now it seemed more preoccupied with the thunderous noise the Japanese, Chinese, and Russians were making. Nothing she did was working and she was quickly running out of time.

“Switchblade and Aphrodite, I want you to flank this thing! We need to get it away from the line now!” she yelled into her helmet and felt her own voice reverberate through the enclosed space around her. Her words were harsh and cold, but there was no helping it. There was literally a ticking clock counting down on them and she would be damned if her actions led to pilots being caught in friendly fire.

“Roger!” her two friends answered almost instantly.

Looking out over the scarred and smouldering battlefield, Angela saw both Lisa and Michelle rush out ahead of her and get behind the massive Destroyer that seemed to be impervious to pain and distraction. The moment both girls were clear, Angela gripped her trigger tightly and sprayed death down range once more. Hundreds of massive bullets specially designed to fight the UNE smashed into the thick scales of the Destroyer and either broke apart instantly or merely bounced off. How the hell were they supposed to hurt this thing?

“Forty seconds!” Michelle now called out loudly and her voice was panicked. And why shouldn't it be? They had less than a minute to get this thing away from the line or a very major international incident was going to take place, and Angela would have been the one who had ordered it.

Failure was not an option for her however, and she knew that. If there was ever a moment to do something stupid, it was now. She just hoped it worked and she didn't end up getting herself killed in the process. Her entire being was focused on what she had to do next and she was so focused on how she saw this playing out that she nearly forgot two very important parts, getting the item she needed to get the monsters attention and telling the others to get out of the way and give her some space.

“Sarah? Do you still have some of those timed rounds left?” she asked quickly and for a moment there was a pause on the radio channel as everyone listening in probably tried to figure out what she was up to.

“Y... yeah. I haven't used my compliment yet. Why?”

“Do me a favour and activate one and then eject it from the chamber! I'm going to need it!”

“What the hell are you going on about?”

“Just do it!” she ordered, wishing her best friend would at least trust her judgement enough to do what she was being asked without raising more questions. The order seemed to get the job done though, and as Angela rose into the sky and engaged her flight engines she saw a massive artillery shell come tumbling out of the barrel of Sarah's large cannon and fall to the ground with a loud thud.