Round 1.3: 'Heaven'

Author's Note:  I'm in group H and this challenge threw me for a loop -many many loops- mainly because of the floodgate of ideas that came crashing in. I'm happy with how it turned out though, especially as a possible last round entry! Enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The world was going to crap and we could do nothing but buy ourselves a little more time. Myra thought as they passed Mars. 

Kev's voice streamed in over the intercom, "Do you have eyes on the beast?"

He wasn't far behind, but his view was blocked by the tech clinging to Myra's ship. She stared out intently at the sky looking for signs of a distant red flare and ended up soaking in the freckled sky. All this beauty and it will be gone if the tech fails. God help us all. She rubbed the cross charm in between her fingers and pressed the intercom button, "That's a negative. The quasar is still out of sight." 

Her ship was minuscule in comparison to the chunks of destroyed planets suspended in mid-air; she swung out to avoid one and a horn blared. She whipped around to see Howe riding in her blind spot. "Watch it!" Howe yelled through the intercom.

"Sorry, Howe, there's more debris now. I think it got to Neptune." Myra said as she adjusted her speed.

"It could've," Kev admitted. "With the universe shrinking as fast as it is, it wouldn't be a surprise." 

"We're screwed aren't we?" Howe spat out.  

"Maybe." Myra replied and silence fell over the radio.

They rounded Jupiter and Myra abruptly stopped the ship. The edges of the fiery disc were a hundred feet away and Uranus was disappearing down the black hole. Howe whistled, "I thought they said it was a tiny quasar."

"It's all relative." Myra muttered in disbelief as the enormous locks engaged and connected Kev and Howe to her ship. 

"Remember your training and if something goes wrong, I'll see you all on the other side," Kev said.

"What training?" Howe laughed nervously and Myra rolled her eyes.

"The idea is to overload the circuit so you boys better aim." Myra flipped open the encased button. "Applying lasers in 3-2-1."  

Each of their lasers targeted the beam of energy shooting out from the quasar. The electric red lights hit the pole that seemed to be stabilizing the eradicate star in space. Myra gripped the stick harder keeping it from shaking off target.

The star withdrew into itself, "Is it working?" Howe asked.

The black hole in the center pulsed red and the wave of light rushed outward carrying anything that had been sucked in with it. "Pull up!" Myra shouted and yanked upward.