Discovered

The boys piled their gear in the carts and trundled them toward the hospital

The boys piled their gear in the carts and trundled them toward the hospital. Not far behind it they found a large mat on the ground, heavily woven and reinforced. Following their supervisor's directions they wrestled the mat to one side, uncovering a huge, foul-smelling pit with no apparent bottom. They emptied the carts into it and replaced the cover.

"Okay, home," said the supervisor. "Light duty today, boys. More tomorrow." They trooped to the gate, picked up their empty buckets, and headed home. The beggars stayed in their tents.

That night, Kaehl slept little. Thoughts of Selda being healed by Doctor Herstand filled his head.

The next day Kaehl was first in line, his eyes eager. Another supervisor walked toward him along the line as he surveyed the boys. Kaehl avoided his eyes.

"You." The boy jerked a thumb under Kaehl's nose. Kaehl looked up. "Yes, you. Food line. Let's go."

"Food line? But..."

The supervisor loomed close. "Did you say something?"

"I was with Doctor Herstand. I thought..."

"You thought?"

Kaehl ducked his head and retreated. The supervisor followed him.

"Did I hear you say something?" he repeated. "I'm sure it was, 'Yes Sir, thank you Sir, right now Sir.' Because if that's not what you said you'd be out on your head right now. Or worse. Did I hear you say something? Did I?" His voice echoed in the room. The other boys tried not to look. Kaehl closed his eyes and shook his head.

"I didn't think so. Food line, let's go. And you, laughing boy. Yes, you. Think somethin's funny? You're with us. Let's go!"

Kaehl joined a line behind the supervisor. His world turned grey.

"New here?"

Kaehl looked up. A boy stood beside him, one he hadn't seen before. "Shut up," Kaehl hissed. "We're not supposed to talk."

Kaehl turned back to his job. He had spent the last several days sorting and pruning plants in trays cramming the cavernous garden room. Several boys were doing the same thing, plucking weeds and rot and insects and throwing them to the floor for others to pick up—his first job in the garden. When they found dead rodents in their traps they would empty the traps onto the floor and reset them. Sharp-eyed guards followed their moves closely. Kaehl was sore in several places where they had reminded him to be honest.

Kaehl's heart wasn't in it. He longed to talk with Doctor Herstand but hadn't been given a chance.

"It sure would be nice to get out of here, wouldn't it?" said the boy.

Kaehl nodded glumly.

"Ever hear of the outer world?"

Kaehl turned and stared at him, one eyebrow raised.