Chapter Three

I woke up to the golden sunlight peaking through my white lace curtains. My digital alarm clock read "8:39 AM". I took a shower this morning because I didn't take one last night. I had nothing scheduled for today so I took my time getting ready. As much as I wanted to keep Billy's shirt on I knew that would be too weird so I threw on a thick lemon yellow sweatshirt. I loosely tucked my top into a rust corduroy skirt. I wore half my hair up, bound by a red scrunchie and left the rest down.

Both of my parents were called in to work today. They both save lives as well. Although not together. My mother is a Cardiologist and my father is a Fire Chief. They're constantly at work, which makes our family nights more appreciated. When I was younger, they considered changing to less demanding professions but I told them that I didn't want to stand in the way of their dreams. Mom gave her cheeks a storm while Dad was trying to hide his shy tears behind his hand.

I strolled downstairs to the kitchen and fixed myself some chocolate chip waffles, scrambled eggs and bacon. I cooked multiple servings because I didn't know if my parents were going to be back in time to cook dinner.

I sank into the sofa and began to shovel the well-cooked eggs into my mouth. I surfed the television until I was satisfied with Goosebumps reruns. Afterwards I washed my dishes and I decided to call my great friend, Kelly. "Hey Kells." I greeted her, twisting the phone cord around my finger.

"Heyy Thal (*pronounced Tal). What's up girl?" she asked, popping her gum. Probably strawberry.

"Nothing, I have the house to myself which I normally love but I just feel so lonely today and I'm not sure why." I shifted on the couch and lowered the volume of the tv to hear her response better.

"Aww poor you. I can't come over right now because I am watching the boys but I promise to be over later." she comforted me. Maybe she'll bring some snacks over.... Thanks to her brothers her pantry is always stocked with the most unhealthy sweets which unfortunately are the best treats. "And yes I'll bring some treats over." I could imagine her winking now.

"Ahh thank you so much. I don't know what I would do without you. Seriously." I lay my head back on a soft throw pillow.

"I feel the same way. You are my bestest fr- Charlie stop! Sorry Thal, I am going to have to let you go, Charlie is trying to feed the goldfish dog food." The line abruptly ended. Sounds like something five year old, Charlie would do.

With nothing better to do, I went upstairs and jammed out to music on my cassette player. The player was a gift from my grandma that lives a few hours away with pa pa (*pronounced like paw paw). I was so into my Paula Abdul sing and dance-fest that I barely heard the doorbell. I guess Kelly's parents came home faster than she expected. I took off my headphones and put my music player neatly back in my bedside drawer where it belongs. I flew down the carpeted stairs, almost tripping down them because of how fast I was running. I unlocked the door and pulled it open, only to reveal Billy.

"Oh. Hey." I greeted. I was caught off guard and curious to how he got my address. I opened the door a little wider. "Heh I thought you were Kelly."

"Hi," he spoke meekly with his hands at his sides. "I hope you don't think I'm a stalker or anything. I got your address from the yellow pages. Thankfully there's not many Vaughns in the area." he let out a little chuckle, which just made the situation somewhat awkward. I desperately wanted to ask him what he was doing here but I didn't want to come off as discourteous.

To my luck, Billy offered an answer to the question. "Again, I hope you don't think I'm some creep when I say this," his eyes looking everywhere but my face. It appears that he finds the fern on my porch step more fascinating than me. "but I just really wanted to see you." he mumbled towards the end. His head was down, analyzing his tennis shoes as his hand reached up to scratch his neck.